I believe my ssd has died

npowers86

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
i have asked quite a few ssd questions recently to the forums and appreciate all the responses i have gotten. i am beginning to think i should have listened to others when they told me not to get the ssd i did.

i have an ozc agility 3 60gb and i believe that it has completely failed.
it is now saying bootmanager missing press control alt delete to restart. i am on windows 7. i put in my windows 7 disk to try to repair and it cannot even find the drive. i tried other sata ports and power cables. it doesnt seem to even be getting power. my storage drive can be seen when i try to install windows but not the ssd.

does anyone have any suggestions? otherwise i will just get another ssd by another brand which i really dont want to do but am thinking there arnt many options thanks again for any help

mryoink

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Sounds like you'll have to RMA that 1, you already tried all the troubleshooting you really can. Definitely RMA and update firmware to the newest when you get the replacement, if you do grab another just get the crucial M4 this time :) also update that to firmware 0009 they just released if you get 1 of those, adds some nice fixes and a performance boost.

You need to download and run OCZ Toolbox to check the drive. The Bad - It requires (1) You boot into an operating system, (2) the SSD NOT be the Boot drive and (3) No partitions. If you can do this you may, repeat may, Be able to restore the SSD using the Secure erease function. This of course requires re-installing windows.

If the Tool box does not find the SSD or will not allow a secure erease, then:
One of the Problems is a "Panic lockup" which I believe requires a RMA
Recommend you visit the OCZ forum. They also have a Linix based Boot method to update the Firmware, I think it's 2.11.

OCZ= Plug & Pray + Buyer Beware!!

npowers86

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
thanks for all the advice i really appreciate it.
i had one other quick question.
i have never RMA'd a hard drive. should i be concerned about privacy? i know the drive seems dead and all but i just dont want someone being able to snoop around on it if they got it working. just curious if they are allowed to or if they will likely just trash it since its dead. thanks again

gqsmooth

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
You need to download and run OCZ Toolbox to check the drive. The Bad - It requires (1) You boot into an operating system, (2) the SSD NOT be the Boot drive and (3) No partitions. If you can do this you may, repeat may, Be able to restore the SSD using the Secure erease function. This of course requires re-installing windows.

If the Tool box does not find the SSD or will not allow a secure erease, then:
One of the Problems is a "Panic lockup" which I believe requires a RMA
Recommend you visit the OCZ forum. They also have a Linix based Boot method to update the Firmware, I think it's 2.11.

This ^. Use the directions below.

I don't know why it does this. Apparently these OCZ SSDs are prone to this kind of thing. Did you update the firmware? Here's what I did to fix everything.

First put your SATA back into the last good mode you had. Then do this.

1. Unplug all other drives other than your SSD from the motherboard.
2. Update the firmware following these directions.
3. Clear the CMOS on your mobo, and remove the battery. Unplug the machine and the SSD from your PSU. Let everything drain for 10-15 minutes.
4. Reconnect the SSD and boot back into the BIOS and see if it is detected.
5. If it is, put it in AHCI mode and reboot back into the BIOS to make sure it is still showing up

Let me know here if it isn't detected after all of this. If it is:

6. Boot into a Ubuntu Live session and format the drive to whatever type of filesystem you will be using. NFTS/FAT for windows EXT for Linux...

If you are using Windows 7 and you go to do a your fresh installation and the drive does not show up as available in the setup screen but it was showing up in the BIOS follow these steps now:

After booting into the installation disk, at the welcome screen press shift+f10 and a cmd window should pop up. Enter "diskpart" (w/o quotes), then "list disk". Your SSD should be listed here, note which disk number it is listed as. Enter "select disk x" (where x is the number of your disk). Then enter "clean". Cochise! Finish your install. Also be sure to check out the "Useful SSD Articles Part 2" topic in these forums for some suggested tweaks to your disk to optimize for Win 7.

Let me know if this helps.