Repeated USB Drive Corription Windows 7

lithiumus

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I purchased a new Adata CH94 1tb drive. Had it for a few months and I've already had 4 MFT corruptions requiring file recovery. The last one was over 700gb of data and I had to actually buy anotther 1tb drive so I could recover to it. That's the last straw so I contacted Adata.

The SMART tests showed fine and I'm doing a surface scan right now.

I'm using Windows 7 on a Lenovo W520 laptop. None of other USB external drives had a problem, just the Adata. After a certain period of use, it would eventually hang. After a reboot or unplugging of the USB cable and reinsert, Windows 7 would report that the drive needs to be reformatted before use.

Luckily I was able to recover using Active File Recovery every time but this should not be happening. I am suspecting that it might have something to do with the drives auto sleep function getting out of sync with Windows but that is just a guess. I disabled the USB sleep function in Windows after the first few corruptions but the drive still seems to go to sleep. Not even sure that is the issue. If all the scans come back positive, it's unlikely that Adata will take replace the drive. I've searched but have not found this to be a common issue... anything else I can try to fix this? thanks in advance!