Sign in with
Your question

Bios don't even start up.

Last response: in Storage
August 29, 2011 3:53:22 PM

Ok, it all happend by my computer locking up by moving small files, like only 1-10mb. I had to hard start it. Then the computer wouldn't boot into windows by displaying boot.ini file missing. So, I shut it off, waited 10 mins with power off. it started up booted into windows, everythings all fine. Then I go into My computer, I have two harddrives, ones a 400GB and other is 200GB. Well the 200GB harddrive only had 765-738MB avaliable and It had alllllll my computer games in it. So I restart the computer. It hard shuts off when restarting? No IDEA why. K, then I tried booting into windows, failed missing boot.ini again. Shut the computer off, BIOS load freezes, shut it off again and then

Its just a black screen with a blinking

( _ )

P.S I've also been shutting off the PSU power switch in the back. Would that matter? Also, IT CAN'T be a fried harddrive as I used them both onces to see if it'd go into BIOS. It has to be my Motherboard or something else. Even with all harddrive's out it still does the blinking underscore _ Before it gets into BIOS.

Meantime: I've disconnected everything from my computer, took all the hardware components out and I'll see if it atleast gets into BIOS. I'd love some feedback too :( 

More about : bios start

a c 316 G Storage
August 29, 2011 4:54:36 PM

grippingline said:

P.S I've also been shutting off the PSU power switch in the back. Would that matter?

Well, if you don't do a Windows shutdown you can mess up Windows, but not the hardware. Do you shutdown from the Windows menu before turning off the power switch?

The usual diagnostic procedure is to open up the case and remove everything that can be - remove hard drives, expansion cards other than video, and the video card if you have onboard video. Use a PS2 keyboard, if possible, and no mouse. Then boot. If you get to BIOS, add things back one at a time until it upchucks. Then strip it down again, put in only what upchucked, and see if it boots to BIOS. If it does, you have two or more things that do not play nicely together. If it doesn't, you have identified the culprit.

You might have a bad power supply, mobo damage, who knows. The hardest thing to test is the memory, since you can't boot to BIOS without it, so you can't test with it out. Try the experiment above first, to help narrow it down.

Do you have backups of the drives, or do we need to be concerned about protecting / recovering what's on them? Do you have another machine that could be used to clone them for safety's sake, and a spare external drive or HDD to clone them to?
m
l
August 29, 2011 5:03:01 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Well, if you don't do a Windows shutdown you can mess up Windows, but not the hardware. Do you shutdown from the Windows menu before turning off the power switch?

The usual diagnostic procedure is to open up the case and remove everything that can be - remove hard drives, expansion cards other than video, and the video card if you have onboard video. Use a PS2 keyboard, if possible, and no mouse. Then boot. If you get to BIOS, add things back one at a time until it upchucks. Then strip it down again, put in only what upchucked, and see if it boots to BIOS. If it does, you have two or more things that do not play nicely together. If it doesn't, you have identified the culprit.

You might have a bad power supply, mobo damage, who knows. The hardest thing to test is the memory, since you can't boot to BIOS without it, so you can't test with it out. Try the experiment above first, to help narrow it down.

Do you have backups of the drives, or do we need to be concerned about protecting / recovering what's on them? Do you have another machine that could be used to clone them for safety's sake, and a spare external drive or HDD to clone them to?

Yes I've done all of the diagnostic procedures, and I put them back together, everything neccesary for it to start, hard drive, CPU, GPU, PSU and RAM. My mobo beeps if my ram has problems too. NOTHING else plugged in. It turns on, the I\O Lights don't turn on only the power lights. And my CPU fan rev's sooo loud, I'm just scared. And yes I shut the computer down before turing the PSU switch off.
m
l
Related resources
August 29, 2011 5:05:36 PM

Ok so I took everything out again, checked if I bent or damaged the CPU Prons, nope no problems. I also took something out called RTCRST a green two-pron plugin that goes next to my BIOS battery. Whats that?

Meantime I think i'm just going to test my harddrives on this computer. I'll read all replies later.
m
l
a c 316 G Storage
August 29, 2011 6:11:13 PM

RTCRST is real-time-clock reset. It's removed only to force a reset; you should probably put it back.

Have you mentioned yet what kind of motherboard?
Do you have a spare power supply that you could test with?
m
l
August 29, 2011 6:17:40 PM

WyomingKnott said:
RTCRST is real-time-clock reset. It's removed only to force a reset; you should probably put it back.

Have you mentioned yet what kind of motherboard?
Do you have a spare power supply that you could test with?

Yes I have a spare powersupply but I don't think its enough. Only 400W Which my CPU is 120, GPU 400 etc. I'll test anyways. And I put the reset thingy back. I'll go test now.
m
l
a c 316 G Storage
August 29, 2011 6:18:54 PM

Don't test 520 watts of draw with a 400 watt power supply. If you are lucky, only the power supply would be damaged.
m
l
August 29, 2011 6:25:51 PM

I put the Alt PSU in, it does the same thing. Power turns on, doesn't boot, the black screen doesn't pop up. Monitor doesn't turn on. The Harddriev I\O lights don't turn on. Its just a yellow power light, which is suppose to be green. My motherboard is a Dell E510 BIOS A07 Chip-set Intel 945G
m
l
August 29, 2011 6:28:48 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Don't test 520 watts of draw with a 400 watt power supply. If you are lucky, only the power supply would be damaged.

Well my pain PSU is 500WATTS and it's been working fine ever since I bought the GTS 450 on newegg last December for Christmas the Alt one which I just tested is 400watts. I plugged it in, turned the outlit switch on, turned on the computer the PSU sparked were the female plugin meets the male plugin on the PSU it starts up but does the same thing my main PSU did.

I think i'm doing something wrong this only happend to me if the CPU PRons are bent, or if I put something in the wrong place . . . .

I saw some hair where my ram goes in, looked like cat hair but I didn't remove could that be a problem?

Also : Failed Powersupply, Failed Heatsink fan, Failed CPU, Failed motherboard, Failed ram, Faulty PCI card, Faulty drive (HDD and/or Optic drive) Faulty USB device.
Simple things first. Does the heatsink fan spin when you try to bootup?
With power disconnected, unplug all power and data cables from harddisk drives and optic drives. Remove any PCI cards, Remove all but 1 stick of ram. Leave only motherboard, CPU with Heatsink fan, Graphics card, 1 stick of ram and keyboard. Reconnect power and see if it will boot into bios and give any POST beeps. Report back when you've tried this.

I did all what this guy did, still nothing

ALL Fans spin, everything turns on. Just no Boot or post-beeps. Again this only happens if somethings in the way or misplaced or bent CPU pron to me.
m
l
August 29, 2011 6:49:13 PM

Could my Mobo's Capacitor's ballooned? How can I check?

I could have messed with the Mobo's jumpers but I don't know where they're at. I have one three-pin thing near my CPU It says PWR but nothing has ever plugged into it.
m
l
a c 316 G Storage
August 29, 2011 6:56:24 PM

Got no idea without getting my hands on it, plus a manual. Sorry.
m
l
August 29, 2011 6:57:43 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Got no idea without getting my hands on it, plus a manual. Sorry.

I coould get pictures or a video
m
l
a c 316 G Storage
August 29, 2011 7:05:07 PM

No, I'm afraid that wouldn't help. If it won't run with only memory, mobo, CPU, and video card (you didn't indicate if there is built-in video so that you could boot without the card), then something basic is dead. With no beeps, I would guess either the power supply or the mobo; if it were one of the others, you would get beeps.

I'm in over what I can do remotely here. If you have buckets of spare parts around you could try either replacing everything or a different motherboard, but most of us mere mortals don't have a parts stack like that. Maybe time to take it to a shop, simply because they have the ability to do better breakout testing than we can do at home.

You know - drop in this 1 gigawatt power supply, everything works, must be the power.
m
l
August 29, 2011 7:25:31 PM

Its my mobo and I don't got no money as i'm 15. I'm just guessing it as my Mobo. I'll find some old Pentium 4 755 Socket somewhere and test stuff on it. Thanks for your support WyomingKnott.
m
l
a c 316 G Storage
August 29, 2011 8:45:50 PM

Let us know what you find out.
m
l
a c 326 G Storage
August 29, 2011 8:50:01 PM

You say that there was a spark. That would suggest that one of the pins in the connector has a high resistance connection.

Could you be more specific? Which pin? Which connector?
m
l
a c 316 G Storage
August 29, 2011 9:00:07 PM

Egads, fzabkar. I missed reading that post!
m
l
August 29, 2011 9:12:09 PM

I fixed it. I think. I unplugged everything. Studied the computer for 10 minutes, left it sitting out for like an hour, (had to go to school and grab something) I put my old HD 4350 in. IT BOOTED it posted, but no screen (the gpu is shot i overclocked it wayyyyy to much) So, I took that 4350 out and put my GTS 450 in and it booted and everything. But I think I need to reformat now. Even tho I haven't ran windows.
m
l
a c 316 G Storage
August 30, 2011 12:53:24 PM

If the only reason to reformat is the driver changes, you can boot into safe mode, remove video drivers, and install drivers for the GTS 450. But your initial post sounded like there was something else going on, too. Good luck.
m
l
!