Sign in with
Your question

FSP ATX350-PA Powering a 4850.

Last response: in Components
January 3, 2010 3:14:46 AM

Hey I am wondering about the Fortron source 350 watt power supply.

It comes to just under 40 bucks after shipping, which is pretty good I guess. Would it be enough to run a 4850, E3200 OC to 3000MHz on 1.25V, and a single hard drive, NO OPTICAL DRIVE. This would only be for about a month though, until I upgrade and put this PSU in another rig. Here is a link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator says that it is good, but I am wondering what other people think. I can get something else, but I am just trying to save a few : P
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2010 7:40:59 PM

I'd recommend the Tuniq Potency 650w.

(provided you can catch it when it's in stock)

80 plus certified (verified), SLI certified (verified), Crossfire ready, Active PFC, 25a on each split 12v rail. Even has advanced cooling technology which is a fancy way to say that the fan will stay on until temperatures go below 40c on the power supply, or stay on for 30 seconds.

@shovenose
Im going to have to agree with Shadow703793, Coolmax PSU suck. Massively..

@ThermalTake purepower..

It's using 2 rails, 1 at 15a the other at 14a... This is sufficient for an HD 4850 as a HD 4850 requires around 9.5a@12v rail (or around 100w-110w).. The power supply is not SLI ready or certified which means the GPU rails could be on a rail shared with other system components.
In multi-rail power supplies, putting 1 rail on overload will power down the PSU so it's important to have sufficient amperage on the 12v rails.
It also has low efficiency. > 70% <-- at what load/temperatures we're not sure.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2010 10:14:01 PM

oh sorry....it had ok reviews.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 5, 2010 9:28:50 PM

lilotimz said:

I would trust ^^ more than any other choices. (even though the thermaltake is a good one at the price*

lol, yes, but I doub't it will fit OP's budget

Quote:

It's using 2 rails, 1 at 15a the other at 14a... This is sufficient for an HD 4850 as a HD 4850 requires around 9.5a@12v rail (or around 100w-110w).. The power supply is not SLI ready or certified which means the GPU rails could be on a rail shared with other system components.
In multi-rail power supplies, putting 1 rail on overload will power down the PSU so it's important to have sufficient amperage on the 12v rails.
It also has low efficiency. > 70% <-- at what load/temperatures we're not sure.

+1. Didn't check rails before posting, my bad. Nice catch.
m
l
January 6, 2010 2:24:24 PM

shovenose said:
oh sorry....it had ok reviews.

Newegg reviews are generally not to be trusted. For PSU reviews http://www.jonnyguru.com/ is one of the best.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 7, 2010 1:00:55 AM

why arent they trustworthy? its peoples real experiences? does newegg filter out some of the bad ones?...(just curious)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 7, 2010 4:07:16 PM

shovenose said:
why arent they trustworthy? its peoples real experiences? does newegg filter out some of the bad ones?...(just curious)

No they do not filter out bad reviews. They will only filter out reviews which are against their policies such as:
advertising other companies, spam, cursing, offensive material, aggressive material, controversial material etc.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 9, 2010 1:42:17 PM

ok then why rnt they trustworthy/?
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 31, 2010 12:21:37 AM

This is an old thread. However, your question was never answered. The actual problem is a small handful of user reviews that are inaccurate. There's usually a small group of customers who have no idea what they are talking about. I see that all the time. Other user comments can be very helpful. It just depends.

For example, when Coolermaster introduced the CM 590 Centurion case the power reset switch on the front panel was eliminated. User reviews flamed Coolermaster for not including the power reset switch. For me it was a clear and visible demonstration of user ignorance. By that I mean they lacked knowledge about the latest developments in motherboard design. New power management features in BIOS allow a user to use the main power switch as a on/off switch and as a power reset switch. The switch is no longer used to just turn a pc on. The new feature eliminated the need for a reset switch and help reduced manufacturing costs. You would not know that if you read the user comments. The vast majority of cases still come with a power reset switch. I can't help but wonder if the switch is included to avoid reckless comments that can ruin sales. That's just one example of the problem.
m
l
!