ASRock x58 Extreme + Memory

Cage9d9

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Hey,

So I purchased an ASRock x58 Extreme. I've read in many places about the memory issues being seen by this product. I'm just wanting to find a definite answer here.

I have the OCZ3G1600LV6GK x3 (2gx3=6) memory and for some reason the mobo will not boot after installing more than 1 stick. I am correctly putting the memory into the white slots. I've also updated the bios with the latest bios update which should include a patch for "OCZ3G1600LV6GK Memory". Personally I wish I would have researched a little bit more before purchasing this cheaper board. There were pretty good reviews on the front page, but once you start digging through the reviews this memory issue sticks out like a sore thumb.

So my question basically is, has anyone had this motherboard work and actually get Tripple Channel Memory up to 6 gigs to work?

If so, do you mind listing the exact RAM you are using, and if you had any initial issues?

Also has anyone had the same issue I am having and replaced the board it self to solve the problem?

I swear I've read that some people have actually had the OCZ3G1600LV6GK work after replacing a couple boards (they call it the lottery). I just don't want to waste time and more money.

Also it is worth noting the system would not run the ram at its recommended speeds by default, had to go into the OC and boost the settings a little to get close to the memory's speeds.

thanks for any information!

Been using the X58 Extreme for about a year now with no hardware related issues what so ever. The board has been very stable and overclocks a D0 920 to 4GHz 24/7 stable easily.

From the reviews on Newegg, it seems they had a bad run of these boards. I bought mine on what seems to be the second production run and, as mentioned, have had no issues at all. It seems that I have been one of the lucky ones to get a good board.

This is the exact memory (Crucial Ballistix 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 BL3KIT25664BN1608) I have installed and have no issues running it at speed or with the motherboard recognizing the XMP profiles.

All X58 motherboards are only rated for and officially recognized to run memory speeds of 1066 and it is only through "overlocking" that faster than 1066 memory is realized.

This X58 Extreme is actually the 3rd ASRock motherboard I have used. I also have ASRock mobos in my NAS box and also in my HTPC. The only reason I considered the ASRock X58 EXtreme over other X58 boards was because if the positive experiences with the boards I have in the NAS box and HTPC. Sad to hear that ASRock seems to have put out a bad batch.

I hope you get your issues corrected. Good luck!

solce

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

What OC setting did you use and what did you get the RAM to run at?

I have the same mobo and ocz gold ram and it picks up all of my sticks without a problem. Dumb question, but do you have each stick in only the white memory slots?

I have the same board and memory, but a different processor (which i think causes my problem) where I can't get anything to run at 1600. I have tried different ram with XMP and the profile is greyed out making it impossible for me to select it.

If your X58 Extreme is not enabling the XMP profiles in the BIOS, try updating to the latest BIOS version. Another reason it may be greyed out in the BIOS is if that memory is not XMP profile capable, in which case you should still be able to set the speed and timings manually.

solce

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

I have been dealing with this for a month. I've tried everything in the book. OCZ gold was not XMP. Setting timings manually doesn't work. Got g-skill xmp ram, profile shows up but is greyed out and cannot select it for 1600. Max ram frequency it shows to run on any RAM i've tried is 1066. I'm thinking it's an issue with my processor (xeon x5570 es)

Perhaps, but the mobo should still let you set the memory speed separate from whatever spec the proc is. Example, according to the Intel spec sheet, the D0 i97 920 supports only memory speeds up to 1066 but my memory speed is 1600...interesting...

Updated to the latest BIOS?

solce

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

you would think that... i sent my board, cpu, and ram to asrock and they were able to overclock xmp ready ram (to 1600) with a 920 in it but not my xeon. it's weird

i did update to the latest bios (2.30) but find that i like 1.90b better. The 2.3 didn't work either. I had asrock make me a custom bios for my x5570 and for some reason about 1.90 doesn't have the EZ OC settings