lowpine

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
OK, this question may not (ok probably not) be related to the fact that it's a homebuilt system, but since I did just build the system, I'm gonna ask it here..... :)

I'm getting a buzzing sound out of the earphone jack on the front of the computer. The mother board jack is fine. It's a faint clicking sound under idle system use, the increases with mouse movement or hovering over html text and increasingly annoying when playing online games. It's more of a faint clicking sound than a hum.

I've tried a couple sets of earbuds with the same result, all of which sound fine plugged into the mp3 player so I know it's not the earbuds.

It's an Antec Three Hundred Illusion case and Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 motherboard.

It seems like a ground problem. I've connected and reconnected the audio plug from the case to the motherboard several times, and it seems secure.

I put in a call/email to Antec, but I thought I'd ask here also, as I don't know what their turnaround time will be.

thanks
steve

bryce55

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Does the cable from the case to the motherbaord lead to a IC on the case or just to a jack, if its just to a jack its the motherbaord if its to a IC on the case that might be the source of the buzz, but it is most likely the motherboard connection.

lowpine

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

I'm not sure what you mean by IC.... I'll describe the connection, but please elaborate on IC (I know it's probably simple, interface component maybe?).

The cable for the audio connection came with the case, it covers both the audio and mic jacks. The headphone and mic are in a single component with 2 usbs, there is a seperate cable for the usbs. So the headphone jack, mic, and 2 usbs are a single component with 2 cables coming out. The business end of the audio cable is 10 pin, which seem standard, and plugs to the F_Audio connector on the MB.

lowpine

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

It's an Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC (yes that's C&P, I didn't type all that crap in :) )