Sign in with
Your question
Solved

300 watt power supply enough for a ati hd 4650 graphics card ?

Last response: in Components
January 3, 2010 4:57:21 AM

I bought a gateway dx4300-3 but noticed that it comes with an ati hd 4650 graphics card. & the power supply is only 300 watts. Do the informed experts in the community think this will be enough power to not have problems?
January 3, 2010 5:35:56 AM

no
m
l
January 3, 2010 6:23:45 AM

Peak power consumption by that card is 150W give or take a bit so depending on what all else you have in that PC you are probably just fine provided they didn't use the cheapest piece of junk PSU they could find and that would concern me with a Gateway.

m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2010 6:59:56 AM

Thanks .... thinking about returning it though - before I open the box? Does not seem like Gateway is good co.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2010 7:13:27 AM

uh_no your an idiot

depends on what else is in the system, and a *branded* 300w is actually enough to power a GTX260 with an E6550 and 1 hdd and 1 dvdrw etc - check your info before answering PLEASE

if the manafacturer supplied it with a 300w it should be fine
m
l
January 3, 2010 7:53:49 AM

I am not familiar with the model mentioned; but I know 4650 was also released as an AGP card. And my opinion of Gateway, from past experiences, is like OMG........

So I wouldn't be surprised if you catch my drift.

If you can return it, that's perhaps a good idea. But then what - I am not really big on any brand OEM boxes. I would only build my own.

There's lot of help here and other sites for build your own pc; if you wanna get into it. The first consideration is what would be your typical intended usage.

btw - I agree with apache's post - the OEM's are typically very reliable out of the box. But if you wanna start upgrading, they can be limited - but some upgrades are doable. It depends .... :) 

If you want a gamer box; build your own.
m
l
January 3, 2010 9:10:28 AM

Gateway are a reputable enough company, if they sold it with that PSU and graphics card then it will be fine. I'm sure they will have tested it etc etc and someone will have done the maths before committing to selling it
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2010 11:14:36 AM

gateway being the way it is im not suprised
m
l
January 3, 2010 2:40:14 PM

delluser1 said:
That would be for an entire system, not just the card
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_4650_OC/...

True enough I should have said "with" that card instead of "by".

On the other hand if you wish to get really picky that chart you linked to would be useless in this case as the sample CPU in the benchmark is a dual core whereas here we are speaking of a Quad.

This system also has 8GB of RAM in it where the benchmark system has 2GB.

This system has a tuner in it the benchmark system doesn't.

My guess would be that this system under full load would use a bit more power than the benchmark system and I prefer to err on the side of caution so my post was not misleading.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2010 2:51:51 PM

2 things:
-didnt gateway buy emachines
-dont they both suck?
m
l
January 3, 2010 2:57:57 PM

Good points I tend to agree with but to each his own. For some folks who only email once in a while an emachine seems to make them happy.

I have no use for store bought myself but if I were forced to buy a ready made PC I would still go with a Dell over the other options.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2010 3:30:03 PM

LoneWolf_53 said:
True enough I should have said "with" that card instead of "by".

On the other hand if you wish to get really picky that chart you linked to would be useless in this case as the sample CPU in the benchmark is a dual core whereas here we are speaking of a Quad.

This system also has 8GB of RAM in it where the benchmark system has 2GB.

This system has a tuner in it the benchmark system doesn't.

My guess would be that this system under full load would use a bit more power than the benchmark system and I prefer to err on the side of caution so my post was not misleading.

Fair enough, though I didn't see anything about a tuner.
Let me put it this way, companies like Dell and Gateway are out to make money, putting an insufficient power supply in a pre configured system would cause them to lose that money.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2010 3:35:23 PM

delluser1 said:
Fair enough, though I didn't see anything about a tuner.
Let me put it this way, companies like Dell and Gateway are out to make money, putting an insufficient power supply in a pre configured system would cause them to lose that money.

not if its a cheapo PSU thatll last only like 4 years cause by then the warranty is over and people upgrade usually by that time or far before!
m
l
January 3, 2010 3:56:56 PM

Yeah I agree. Thats probably the plan. They don't care so much because people just are going to buy a new one very soon. This one would probably work okay?
Thanks everyone. Still think I should have just waited for the original PC. Don't have time (or enough $$) right now to build my own. Original plan was a ZT Affinity 7334Ma before my impulse-purchase of the Gateway. Thanks for your help!!!!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2010 4:04:19 PM

im not sure why people randomly write "bump" in a post but....
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2010 4:04:27 PM

bump
m
l
January 3, 2010 4:33:06 PM

Yeah .... uh okay? I can agree that "bump" makes absolutely no sense at all. Uh ... thanks though?
m
l
a c 134 ) Power supply
a c 225 U Graphics card
January 3, 2010 4:41:11 PM

On many forums, "Bump" brings it back up to the top of the section listing which is sorted by 'latest post" ... thought process is people will see stuff on page 1, and perhaps not look at older stuff on page x
m
l
a c 134 ) Power supply
a c 225 U Graphics card
January 3, 2010 4:43:00 PM

bakththwrld said:
I bought a gateway dx4300-3 but noticed that it comes with an ati hd 4650 graphics card. & the power supply is only 300 watts. Do the informed experts in the community think this will be enough power to not have problems?

I think the bean counters at gateway are smart enough not to let a deficient product out the door....but you can check for yaself.....let this do the math for you.

http://www.antec.outervision.com/
m
l
January 3, 2010 5:33:32 PM

Thanks. I will check. I think the simplest easiest fastest solution would be to just keep and use the system & upgrade the power supply. Time is a big factor for me right now. What do you guys think about DDR2 VS DDR3. I was originally determined to only buy a new PC with DDR3 supported and installed?
m
l
January 3, 2010 5:39:28 PM

PS ... also about the 2.4 Phenom. Salefolk told me it was 2.6 which I already thought was a little weak. Any opinions on 2.4? Keep in mind that I don't really game, but DO run MANY programs simultaneously?
Thanks Again!
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2010 5:51:02 PM

bakththwrld said:

To answer the question:
Yes, a 300w power supply should run a 4650 just fine. The only conditions in which it wouldn't are if you overclock, or run like 8 hard drives at once.

(The experts here are just encouraging you to replace the PSU because they are the most common part of a computer to fail. Getting a name brand power supply at some point in the future might be a good idea--corsair, antec, pc power and cooling are good brands)
May 22, 2010 2:11:14 PM

me i have a hp compaq dc7100 with a 340watt psu can i handle it?
m
l
May 29, 2010 4:43:38 AM

deadlockedworld said:
To answer the question:
Yes, a 300w power supply should run a 4650 just fine. The only conditions in which it wouldn't are if you overclock, or run like 8 hard drives at once.

(The experts here are just encouraging you to replace the PSU because they are the most common part of a computer to fail. Getting a name brand power supply at some point in the future might be a good idea--corsair, antec, pc power and cooling are good brands)

Returned the Gateway a long time ago and will never buy another one.
Also got angry because Win 7 is not compatible with much of my needed (for school) software and hardware. Just pulled my old XP Athlon 64 back out of storage - put in a newer, nicer more powerful power supply and a newer hard drive. And I'm drivin it on into the ground for now. What to do next - I am not sure, but I will probably build it myself (maybe)?
m
l
June 5, 2010 12:19:41 AM

Best answer selected by bakththwrld.
m
l
May 23, 2012 3:04:40 AM

Hi gusy please suggest me that i have bought Hd 4650 ati card and i want to know My power supply is 300watt can i run it.........??

m
l
!