Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

G.skill vs Corsair

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 4, 2012 6:34:34 AM

I want to know if there is any serious difference between these these memories and wether either is drastically better than the other. I can afford either but the Corsair is 10 $ dollars cheaper. I was planning on going with G.skill cause I can and because of the many good reviews i've heard.


G.Skill Ripjaws X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or the Corsair XMS3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : skill corsair

a c 149 } Memory
a c 105 K Overclocking
February 4, 2012 6:49:08 AM

If you have a Sandy Bridge system go for the GSkill as it is 1.5v only. The Corsair says 1.5v-1.65v and would be safe as long as you keep it at 1.5v.
February 4, 2012 6:22:44 PM

Yeah i have a i5 2500k, so I should go wit the G.skill then?
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
a c 130 K Overclocking
February 4, 2012 6:56:15 PM
Share

Corsair in a heartbeat.....my reasons are compatibility and customer service experience. Over the years I have never had a compatibility issue w/ Corsairs, Mushkin .... Gskill..... adding a 2nd set of RAM has been a no go in about half the instances, Corsair just once and zero for Muskin .... dealing with CS for Mushkin and Corsair is a pleasure...Gskill not so much

as for the > 1.5 volt thing ...... I don't know why this misinformation is still being bandied about

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s...

Quote:
Sandy Bridge does not demand only 1.5v modules, it will be perfectly happy with 1.65v modules too. If someone tries to tell you that you must have 1.5v modules, then they are either trying to sell them to you, or they have been reading misinformation, or both! Another point to consider here, is that in your BIOS, if you head to the memory voltage setting, and enter 1.5v, the text will remain white/grey, if you enter 1.65v, it will turn yellow, and it isn't until 1.73v that it turns red, so at the moment, I'd rest assured that 1.65v modules are OK to use, and I have had this confirmed by Asus, Gigabyte and Corsair so far, as soon as I hear from anyone else, I will update this again.


what ya do wanna avoid however is any RAM with tall toothy heat sinks. Any of these will do just fine

1.5V $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
1.5V $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
1.5V $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

1.5V $47 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
1.5V $47 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
1.5V $47 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
1.35V $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2012 7:20:32 PM

^ +1 to JackNaylorPE.

He hit it all.
a c 97 } Memory
a c 108 K Overclocking
February 4, 2012 7:44:50 PM

hafronix said:
I want to know if there is any serious difference between these these memories and wether either is drastically better than the other. I can afford either but the Corsair is 10 $ dollars cheaper. I was planning on going with G.skill cause I can and because of the many good reviews i've heard.


G.Skill Ripjaws X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or the Corsair XMS3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Either will perform exactly the same.
Both have lifetime warranty.

Get the Corsair since it is cheaper.
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2012 8:05:42 PM

Those G Skills specifically have problems matching to other pairs of RAM even the same brand/model number sets. I have them and would have chosen at least another model number if not another brand as well. I bought Corsair low profile for my next/current build.
a c 149 } Memory
a c 105 K Overclocking
February 4, 2012 8:10:36 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Corsair in a heartbeat.....my reasons are compatibility and customer service experience. Over the years I have never had a compatibility issue w/ Corsairs, Mushkin .... Gskill..... adding a 2nd set of RAM has been a no go in about half the instances, Corsair just once and zero for Muskin .... dealing with CS for Mushkin and Corsair is a pleasure...Gskill not so much

as for the > 1.5 volt thing ...... I don't know why this misinformation is still being bandied about

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s...

Quote:
Sandy Bridge does not demand only 1.5v modules, it will be perfectly happy with 1.65v modules too. If someone tries to tell you that you must have 1.5v modules, then they are either trying to sell them to you, or they have been reading misinformation, or both! Another point to consider here, is that in your BIOS, if you head to the memory voltage setting, and enter 1.5v, the text will remain white/grey, if you enter 1.65v, it will turn yellow, and it isn't until 1.73v that it turns red, so at the moment, I'd rest assured that 1.65v modules are OK to use, and I have had this confirmed by Asus, Gigabyte and Corsair so far, as soon as I hear from anyone else, I will update this again.


what ya do wanna avoid however is any RAM with tall toothy heat sinks. Any of these will do just fine

1.5V $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
1.5V $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
1.5V $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

1.5V $47 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
1.5V $47 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
1.5V $47 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
1.35V $50 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



You should be aware of this Jack. Going over 1.5v and even going over DDR3 1333 will void your CPU warranty. It's not the RAM makers or the motherboard manufacturers it's per Intel and the onboard memory controller. So if I was to see Intel posting something like that I would feel better but since I have not I will go with what they told Proximon.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...
a c 97 } Memory
a c 108 K Overclocking
February 4, 2012 8:17:59 PM

vollman1 said:
Those G Skills specifically have problems matching to other pairs of RAM even the same brand/model number sets. I have them and would have chosen at least another model number if not another brand as well. I bought Corsair low profile for my next/current build.


That may be an issue with ANY ram.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards can be very sensitive to this.
Although, I think the problem has lessened with the newer Intel chipsets. Still,
it is safer to get what you need in one kit.
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2012 8:24:31 PM

anort3 said:
If you have a Sandy Bridge system go for the GSkill as it is 1.5v only. The Corsair says 1.5v-1.65v and would be safe as long as you keep it at 1.5v.




I think that Jack was taking issue with your use of the term "...safe as long as...."
a c 149 } Memory
a c 105 K Overclocking
February 4, 2012 8:46:39 PM

Safe as far as the CPU warranty is concerned.
February 4, 2012 9:39:44 PM

As far as Mobo I'm using the ASrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 z68 and I'm already pushing my budget cost so I'd much rather keep it under $40 Therefore if you guys recommend the corsair brand ill go with the XMS3. However why do people not complain about G.skill if it had those issues?
a c 149 } Memory
a c 105 K Overclocking
February 4, 2012 10:24:15 PM

I have used both and never had any problems with either of them. I like the Ripjaws X because it fits under the large air coolers while standard Corsair Vengance does not. Corsair now makes low profile Vengance though. I would get whatever is cheaper.
February 5, 2012 6:42:30 AM

Sounds good and in this case it doesnt matter because the XMS3 are flat and low profile. Thanks guys!
February 5, 2012 9:21:37 AM

Best answer selected by hafronix.
!