New gaming machine $1000-1500

kc_Sheets

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I will be coming home from Iraq in mid November so around the first of the month i want the parts there when i get home.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Gaming, oh and more Gaming (COD MW2)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitors, keyboard mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg don't really know any others with the same great service.

PARTS PREFERENCES: no real preference love asus

OVERCLOCKING: Yes / CROSSFIRE: Yes when i purchase another card

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 2@1280x1024, will be 1680x1050 when i pick up 2 monitors later on.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: just looking for some good input i was going to go for a i7 920 build but shifted to the i7860 for price and performance. I only used newegg for the parts if there's other places please let me know.

MOBO - $250
ASUS Maximus III Formula LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

Cooler - $60
COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8

CPU - $290
Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

Ram - $95
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Video Card - $280
XFX HD-585A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850

HD - $180 I do not need a lot of space
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache

Power Supply - $115
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power

Case - $90 - I like this case the only issue i have is it big enough for the CPU cooler and 2 video cards
COOLER MASTER Storm Scout

Compound - $7
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

base price is $1366
after instant rebates of $65 (for now) $1301 with 2 $20 mail in rebates $1261

Like i said any help would be great i have around 30 days left before im home!!!

Solution
17 860 is socket 1156 and won't fit in a X58 motherboard.

It's a good looking list. Great choice of PSU.
Any features on the Maximus III Formula you need that aren't on the P7P55D EVO or P7P55D PRO?

For your thermal compound: Take a hard look at OCZ Freeze or Arctic Cooling MX2

You're right to be concerned about the CM Storm Scout and some video cards and coolers.
5850s will fit without a problem. 5870s have issues. Same for CM V8 coolers. Some users of the case and cooler combo aren't happy while others seem to make it work for them.
To get an idea of the issues, workarounds, etc... read the NewEgg customer comments. Search on V8.

You might find a couple NewEgg combo deals when it comes time to order - save a...

magruder13

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
17 860 is socket 1156 and won't fit in a X58 motherboard.

It's a good looking list. Great choice of PSU.
Any features on the Maximus III Formula you need that aren't on the P7P55D EVO or P7P55D PRO?

For your thermal compound: Take a hard look at OCZ Freeze or Arctic Cooling MX2

You're right to be concerned about the CM Storm Scout and some video cards and coolers.
5850s will fit without a problem. 5870s have issues. Same for CM V8 coolers. Some users of the case and cooler combo aren't happy while others seem to make it work for them.
To get an idea of the issues, workarounds, etc... read the NewEgg customer comments. Search on V8.

You might find a couple NewEgg combo deals when it comes time to order - save a few extra $$ that way too.

Have a safe trip back.

Solution

kc_Sheets

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
the reason i picked the raptor it can out perform normal hard drives i just don't want to pay extra for multiple hard drives to have a ssd.

Another question i have is the Ram is the ripjaw 4gb good enough or should i go for 6gb?

FYI changing compound to OCZ Freeze

The only difference been the mobo is the Max has the supremeFX sound card. (If this wont make a difference because the sound card blows then i will change it???) I have never been a big fan of sound cards just used what was on the mobo and it seems strange that ASUS wouldn't put one of there own nice sound cards in as the extra.

jbakerlent

Distinguished
You should definitely go for the triple channel RAM (x58 motherboards use it). I would second obsidian's recommendation for the F3 over the Velociraptor.
I would get this HSF instead and you can drop the thermal paste, as this comes with some:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

I do recommend the XFX GPU though, due to quality and especially due to the double lifetime warranty.

You did good on the RAM picking the CAS 7 DDR3.
Start out with 4GB, IMO. Easy to add more later and you won't need it starting out.

I feel the same as you do about sound cards but there are people that can tell the difference, mostly with audiophile speakers and music. Less important for in-game audio IMO.
And if you don't need the e-Sata for external SATA HDD on the EVO you should be able to get along just fine with the P7P55D PRO. I havent seen any negative comments on the 7+1 onboard sound chip on the P7P55D EVO & PRO. ASUS website page on P7P55D PRO features.

kc_Sheets

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
just reading the forums and then researching the ripjaw ram i saw that its a great set of ram for gaming and overclocking.

WR2 your right the only thing i have is a complex i have a asus g50 and i love the touch over clocking it was nice but not needed and the boot looks bad a$# with the republic of gamers logo. i think ill switch boards and add another set of ripjaw for 8gb