mestizo73

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
Hey guy's I am trying to decide on which I7 to go with either a I7 860 or I7 920? This will be a NON-GAMING rig. I do alot of video editing and video encoding/transcoding. I know I9's will be out next year, but I usually build a new pc every 2 years. So my question is go with a I7 860 or I7 920, I know the I9's will be 6 cores and will benefit alot of video work, but will they be so high priced that u have to be rich to buy one. By the time the I9's will come down to earth for us normal people I would probally be ready for another build. What do u guy's think? As I stated before the pc will be used for video work, and general home use and no gaming. Any of your thoughts would be much appreciated.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
If you are considering the i9s, get the x58 mobo now. you can just do an upgrade instead of needing a complete platform when the i9 cpu fits your budget. Its more now, but it leaves options open.

tecmo34

Administrator
Here is a comparison... http://anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=108&p2=47

I give the i7 860 a slight edge in performance now over the i7 920. I give a huge edge to the i7 920 for upgrade ability over the i7 860. If you have a slightest thought of getting the i9, get the i7 920 now and just upgrade BIOS and CPU down the road (this was my thoughts when purchase the i7 920 months ago). If no plans to upgrade or just plans to update to a whole new system in two years, I would get the i7 860 now and save a little cash!

edited info. in the bold text

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
I guess my thinking was in 2 years, instead of paying out the cash for a complete new system, the i9 can be purchases instead and probably come out ahead in the end with less overall cost and better performance. So if the op wants to pass this system they are building now down to someone else, then the 1156 would be better because they'll have to front a new system cost in 2 years. But if the budget is applied to just an upgrade, I'd prefer to have the options, even though it cost more now.

era86

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
If the user is already questioning the ability to purchase the I9, then why even purchase the platform to upgrade to it?

OP - don't buy the X58 for upgradeability if you feel like you won't be able to purchase the $1000 I9 in 2 years. Also, new technologies might come out for mobos that you will want to purchase a whole new system in 2 years anyway.

Go with the 920 if you use alot of memory and want to avoid the bleeding edge issues of the 1156 platform. Apparently there have been articles floating around about the Foxconn sockets being defective, so proceed with caution.

Other than that, the 860 DOES outperform the 920 in most applications right now, including video encoding. It isn't by much, but it also uses less power in doing it.

I went the the 860 for the low power consumption, platform price, and performance that surpasses the 920 (by little). But trust me, you can't go wrong with either :).

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
While the early price reports of the i9s are scary, they won't stay there. The initial launch will probably be the extreme edition, which is what the pricing points to. There will be other offerings and much lower prices. Intel will have to answer the Phenom II x6 through less expensive product offerings. If the only x6 cpu Intel offers is $1-1.5k, they'll sell a few and thats it. But as they scale the manufacturing, there will be other options. If the OP wants options, in 2 years, there should be a few i9 cpu upgrades available, and at cost less then a new system.

How much of a price drop have you seen on the i7 Extreme edition CPUs? They've been out just about a year now and the price is still close to four digits.

I think Intel is positioning i9 as the Extreme series CPU . Will they have lower price i9s and cut the i7s sales?
Personally, I don't expect to see the i9 prices dropping much at all.

Tend to agree with era86 on MBs. New ones with USB3 and more important SATA 6 should be out soon as I believe they have approved both standards. The new sata will not benifit mechanical HHD (except maybe 4 in raid0), they will give SSDs (raid0) a boost, as SSD are approaching the Limit for SATA3.

I was going to upgrade to the P55, but I'm holding off until I get a better feel on when the newer MBs will be out. If two far downstream I'll go ahead, otherwise I'll wait.

For large file video editing I do not know the amount of read/writes to the Hard drive - If a lot then the upgrade to a pair of SSDs might be benificial.

mestizo73

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
Hey guy's thanks for your thoughts and opinions much appreciated. I think for now I will just go with the I7 860 and in a few years when I upgrade see what tech is out then.

Correct. Only during very aggressive overclocking - something above 4Ghz it looks like.

Overclocking should be about equal improvement i5 750 vs i7 860.

i7 860 with 4 core/8 thread hyper threading ability should have a definite advantage if your video editing and video encoding/transcoding programs support multi-threading.

Since you're likely to have all four cores in action Turbo Boost probably won't be a big factor for you.

mestizo73

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007

yeah thats what i heard if ur using LN2 and going for 5ghz plus.