I was looking into OC'ing my build. Currently I have
CPU: FX8150
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
PSU: Thortech 1200W
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V
Hard Drive: Samsung HD2040UI 2TB
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 12GB
Case: Azza Hurrican

This was the second time I've built my own PC. First time was a DIY Combo kit and this time I picked out all the parts myself. I didn't really consult anyone if you're wondering about my questionable choices. I just wanted to build a strong pc and got sucked into it.

Also I don't plan on keeping the Corsair. I only have it in until Newegg finishes my RMA for my G.Skill Ripjaws X 1333 32GB kit.

So now I'm have this build and I do enjoy it for what it is, but I wanna ask if you guys can help me bet the most out of it. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

More about : build

February 6, 2012 3:08:16 AM

Well following the guide I have my computer booting up at 5.00Ghz and it shows up on CPU-z, but after a few minutes the multiplier drops down to 7.
Amd Overdrive and my Asus turbo evo tools show that the multiplier is at 25 still and windows reads it as a 5.00Ghz processor as well, but even when I do tests or anything my processor never goes above 14000mhz.
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2012 5:27:44 AM

Cool and quiet is disabled in BIOS?
m
l
February 10, 2012 10:58:17 PM

Yeah I discovered the problem was my Asus tool. It defaulted to energy saver on startup so I had to either apply the setting through it or set it to high performance.
m
l
February 28, 2012 7:33:02 PM

Why would you need 32gb of RAM?
m
l
February 28, 2012 9:32:38 PM

Yeah even 12GB is overkill. Also that power supply is overkill unless you are putting in at least 2 high-end video cards. If you do that it will be overkill unless you have 3 monitors or a 3d setup.

I'd recommend only using the BIOS to overclock, however those programs could still be useful to monitor frequency and voltage values. Personally I prefer CPU-Z and Hardware Monitor. I also liked Everest when I used it. It reported pretty much every voltage, frequency, and fan speed you could think of and was much more descriptive than "TMPIN0" like hardware monitor, but I only had a 30 day trial or something so I don't have it anymore. I think the name got changed from Everest to Aida64 or something. Speedfan is another popular one. I wouldn't use any software to overclock though. From what I understand they can change values and you don't know which (such as what ASUS tools was doing) and you may or may not end up with a stable OC or find your limits.
m
l
March 7, 2012 12:25:04 AM

bardacuda said:
Yeah even 12GB is overkill. Also that power supply is overkill unless you are putting in at least 2 high-end video cards. If you do that it will be overkill unless you have 3 monitors or a 3d setup.

I'd recommend only using the BIOS to overclock, however those programs could still be useful to monitor frequency and voltage values. Personally I prefer CPU-Z and Hardware Monitor. I also liked Everest when I used it. It reported pretty much every voltage, frequency, and fan speed you could think of and was much more descriptive than "TMPIN0" like hardware monitor, but I only had a 30 day trial or something so I don't have it anymore. I think the name got changed from Everest to Aida64 or something. Speedfan is another popular one. I wouldn't use any software to overclock though. From what I understand they can change values and you don't know which (such as what ASUS tools was doing) and you may or may not end up with a stable OC or find your limits.

Since around 2005 I've felt like you can never have enough ram. I usually leave programs open and running and I usually ended up with low memory warnings. Also i noticed that programs always seem to use a certain percentage of available ram because even after moving from 12gb to 32gb after startup I'm still at the same percentage. I decided to get that PSU because I plan on running workstation cards for rendering soon.

I was also trying to limit the amount of upgrades I will be doing when the time comes for it which I aim for at least 3-5 years from now.
m
l
!