What about this i5?

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Looks like you have the basics down. A few suggestions though:

Don't get 8 gigs of ram for a gaming rig. You'll never use it all unless running 4 3D games at the same time. Just get 4 gigs and try to find something with CAS7 instead of 9.

Since you're going with a mobo that can CF, I'd get a PSU that is better suited for two cards. You'll want 4xPCIe connections like the 750TX. The 650tx has the power, but only 2x pcie connections.

Cases are really a personal choice. Get something you love the looks of. Most of the Antecs are great. I like the Coolermaster Storm Scout myself.

Greven

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009

On other forums people tells me to get 8 gig of ram, who should i listen to;)

I play EQ2 and it is very CPU and memory demanding as a game.

CAS7, i dont even know what that is, im pretty crappy at computers, thats why i need help.

Why a PSU for 2 cards, i wont get 2 cards, not in the future either.

Thankful for all help.

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
For gaming, you don't need 8 gigs. But me telling you isn't any better than anyone else telling you. So do this, fire up EQ2, load up a system demanding location, then go into task manager. See how much physical memory its using. But unless you're running 4 apps in the background while gaming, the OS will use 1gb (vista, a lot less for XP or Win7) leaving 3gbs for apps. Fallout 3 uses less than 1gb when I've looked and GTAIV, as unoptimized as it is, only uses 1.5gbs. Thats still a lot of leftover room for other background task, even if EQ2 is on the high end.

Cas will be listed as CL in the model numbers sometimes. Lower is better. 9 isn't terrible, but for the same money, you can do better. And that's what the point of this is, right?

Saving some more, if you're only doing 1 GPU, then you will be fine with the gigabyte ud2. Unless theres a specific feature the ud4r offers, the boards will perform similarly.

You can also cut down on the PSU and get just a 550w from a good name.

Greven

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009

thanks for your help Skora, i wont be able to check EQ2 since im over seas right now, will order a rig and have it when i come home. I sort something out from all the info ill get.

thanks again!

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Since its a question of the amount of ram you need, you only need 4gigs and won't use more. Start with just 4 gigs, you can always add more later after you do test running eq2. But I don't get a bronze badge for not knowing what I'm talking about. 4gigs will be enough.

Greven

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Ok, i have decided to go with 4gb memory now since the most people says its enough.
To choose monitor, im looking for a 22" or 23" but when choosing, what should i look for, 2 or 5ms? What more is important?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Well 24" will get you full 1080p. Smaller response times (2ms over 5ms) are generally cited as better screens but normally smaller response time = higher chance for ghosting on screen. 22" will get you 1650 x 1050 (sub full hd), i like Samsungs myself. You can pick up a Samsung t220hd for around £200 (£180 if you shop around) but choice of screen is simply up to you. Also be sure to look at contrast ratios (i will normally be 5000:1 or something similar); these tell you how much different colours are going to stand out at you, a 'plus' for gaming.

Hope this helps.

Greven

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
It help since i dont know anything about this ;)

Do i need 1080P for gaming, does it improve the graphics?

Is there any settings that is better for gaming then other settings? Like 1650 x 1050?

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
As far as 1680x1050 vs 1920x1080, both will have good gaming performance. The 1920 will have a little wider aspect ratio, but the main advantage the 1920x1080 offers is true HD resolution for movies. If you're 100% gaming and no movies, either will do well for you. The bigger takes more graphics card to run games on high. Best bet is take a few model numbers into a store and look at them. If you can take a picture that has a lot of detail that you're familiar with, it will help comparing.

You can give this a read over, it has more to do with high end displays, but address the mainstream market too. Really, they all perform about the same.
http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3584&p=7