How do I tell if my CPU has been overclocked?

soldier173

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I paid extra to have my Intel i7 260K 3.4 Ghz overclocked to 3.9 Ghz and unlocked. When I check system information (msinfo32) it shows processor at 3.4 Ghz also Belarc adviser also shows 3.4 Ghz. How can I tell if I got what I paid for?

Solution
Hold down the DEL key while booting and go into the BIOS screen. It will probably have a CPU overclocking option in there. Click on that. If it says CPU multiplyer is set at 39, it's overclocked to 3.9GHz.
BTW, the I7 2600K is already unlocked and ready to overclock from the factory. It is easy enough to do yourself by just reading the motherboard owners manual.

Trist_58

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
All of the CPU overclocking should be done in your computer's BIOS. Do a Tom's Hardware search on this and you will find explanations of all of the variables. These will tell you definately what clock speed your CPU is running at.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Hold down the DEL key while booting and go into the BIOS screen. It will probably have a CPU overclocking option in there. Click on that. If it says CPU multiplyer is set at 39, it's overclocked to 3.9GHz.
BTW, the I7 2600K is already unlocked and ready to overclock from the factory. It is easy enough to do yourself by just reading the motherboard owners manual.

Solution