Is there a way to generally configure XP so that any datafile (e.g.settings,
or an Outlook Express.dbx be NEVER stored on C. Some soft are fond to store
the datafiles in the same directory that the application.
Days after installing XP PRO ( and reinstalled the files I had safely
stored) the system went into endless reboot that could not be repaired. The
fresh installation had to format the C and I lost all the mail (as I did not
back up within a few days), and of course all the applications have to be
re-installed without the benefit of stored settings.
Thanks,
Pierre

One of the things you can do is move the documents and
settings folder to the D: drive. Its a little time
consuming, maybe around 40 minutes to do. You have to
edit between 50 to 100 registry keys to have Windows
acknoledge the documents and settings folder is on the D:
Drive instead of the C: drive. That way, my documents,
emails made by OE or Outlook will be on the D: Drive.

I`m not sure if you can set OE or Outlook to save its mail
in another location. I know they save the files inside
the user profile. So only thing I can suggest is move the
user profiles to the other drive. If you want details on
how to do that, email me at hell-fire@yahoo.com

Jeff

>-----$B85$N%a%C%;!<%8(B-----
>Is there a way to generally configure XP so that any
datafile (e.g.settings,
>or an Outlook Express.dbx be NEVER stored on C. Some soft
are fond to store
>the datafiles in the same directory that the application.
>Days after installing XP PRO ( and reinstalled the files
I had safely
>stored) the system went into endless reboot that could
not be repaired. The
>fresh installation had to format the C and I lost all the
mail (as I did not
>back up within a few days), and of course all the
applications have to be
>re-installed without the benefit of stored settings.
>Thanks,
>Pierre
>.

Actually it's quite easy to have OE move it's store folder. Go to
Tools->Options->Maintenance->Store Folder->Change.

As for the rest, you can use TweakUI to move special folders. Get
TweakUI, install it, run it, then go to My Computer->Special Folders.
Select the folder to move, and click Change Location. You will of course
have to reboot for most settings to take effect but after that new files
will be stored there. You will also want to move existing files to the new
location.

--
Alec S.
alec <@> synetech <.> cjb <.> net