Sign in with
Your question
Solved

9GB in an i7-920 desktop messed up?

Last response: in Memory
April 8, 2010 7:02:03 PM

HP ELITE E9180T desktop i7-920 Refurbished

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-ELITE-E9180T-I7-920-2-66GHZ-9GB-...

Given this *should be* a 1366-socket motherboard, it should be operating on triple channel for optimal performance, correct?

But it appears the 9GB of memory is configured as 4x 2GB plus 1x 1GB ?!??

How does this sit in the slots? I'm assuming a 3-set then 2 slots. So did HP mess up, thus explaining why there so many of these being refurbished?

If I take out the extra 2GB and 1GB stick, thus ending up with just an original 6GB (3x 2GB), would performance be back to "normal"?

Would I be able to just buy & add 6 more GB later on my own?

Thanks

More about : 9gb 920 desktop messed

Best solution

a b } Memory
April 8, 2010 7:50:02 PM

it should but won't set up like that

it appears they are using 5 slots

yes 3*2gig sticks will put you back in tri-channel (use the same color slots) and would be my recommendation

yes you could add another 3*2gig sticks later, though you will have to match the ram (not a big deal just have to look before you buy). that said few people can utilize more than 6 gigs of ram
April 8, 2010 8:18:57 PM

Can I assume that the existing RAM (especially the 3x 2GB I would keep) is all from the same batch and/or brand, though?

With refurbished computers, you never know if they just threw a bunch of spare sticks in there... Could this actually be running in single-channel mode, or is that far-fetched?

If I add another 6GB myself later, you said to "match" the RAM... do you mean to the existing RAM, on the BRAND (not just type)? How will I know what the existing brand is; is all RAM labeled?

THANKS!
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
April 8, 2010 8:40:05 PM

i would assume so, but it is obviously not a guarantee

yes it is currently running in single channel mode

you need to match speed, type, cas, and voltage; as an added bonus sometimes you can match brand and model but it's not necessary

brand and model will be on the ram, the other specs can be found by running a free program cpuid
m
l
April 8, 2010 9:10:52 PM

505090 said:

you need to match speed, type, cas, and voltage

brand and model will be on the ram, the other specs can be found by running a free program cpuid

speed, type, cas, and voltage are pretty standard and easy to match... Pretty much just DDR3 10600 (or whatever), correct?

The cpuid program... is that on the computer already (like a bios or "run" command), or something I need to buy/download from a web site?

Thanks
m
l
April 8, 2010 9:25:21 PM

You'll need to download that utility. http://www.cpuid.com

Speed and type are easy to match. CAS latency sometimes. Voltage is more difficult because sticks will sometimes vary from that manufacturer's specs. Matching "high performance" sticks seems to be harder, since some manufacturers seem to enjoy packaging the same value line product rated for a higher CAS/voltage.

Good luck!
m
l
a b } Memory
April 8, 2010 11:24:52 PM

ddr3 1600 would be the type and speed then comes the cas and voltage it's not hard newegg will narrow it down real quick with the power search option

cpuid is free just follow the link thaduis posted
m
l
April 9, 2010 5:37:15 AM

Thanks everyone... very helpful. So I should remove at least some of the mis-configured 9GB of memory. Which would be better performing:

(a) Remove 3GB => then run the remaining 6GB in triple channel
or
(b) Remove 1GB => then run the remaining 8GB in dual channel (how much worse is this vs triple?)

Even in dual channel mode, would there still be advantages to buying an 1366 socket Mobo, versus an 1156 Mobo? Although the i7-920 and i7-860 CPUs seem to be similar in their specs.
m
l
April 9, 2010 6:08:53 PM

I actually have that exact system, and found your post trying to find info on the best way to optimize that oddball RAM configuration. You should be aware, though, that the e9180t and e9150t systems have been plagued with problems , which seem to be linked to a bad mobo. Problems as in >4000 posts on the HP board, multiple class action lawsuits, etc. I actually wound up replacing the mobo, case, and PSU at my own expense just to get it to work for me. The problem has supposedly been corrected with the version 1.40e REV E01 board, so you'll want to confirm that it has the "good" board before pulling the trigger.

Apologies for the sidebar comments. I don't mean to derail the post - I actually have the same question as the OP - would it be best to pull 3GB and run 6GB in triple channel, or pull 1GB and run 8GB in dual?

I should also add that with the 4x2, 1x1 configuration, CPU-z says it's actually running in triple channel mode. What gives?
m
l
April 9, 2010 10:50:04 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Did you buy it new or refurbished?

This ebay seller doesn't have a phone #. They emailed me an answer on the memory (said it WAS all identical) but ignored my question about what the motherboard brand/model was.

I thought "refurbished" meant taking care of problems so that the PC tests okay. Is there a forum thread of what "refurbished" really means? Or I can start one.

Thanks
m
l
April 10, 2010 12:08:12 AM

Thinking it probably depends on when they refurbished it - the motherboard issue has gone on for a long time, and I'm sure they were sending them back out before the final board. It's been a real PITA, so if you can't confirm it, I'd probably look elsewhere!

Still trying to understand why that memory config is showing as triple for me in CPU-Z?
m
l
a b } Memory
April 10, 2010 2:32:53 AM

i would run 3 * 2gig sitcks in triple channel

not sure why cpuid would show that as tripple channel but I assure you it isn't with 5 sticks , is it possable you are running 3 * 3gig sticks
m
l
April 10, 2010 7:44:12 PM

It's definitely 5 DIMMS on an EVGA X58 SLI, 4x2GB, 1x1GB. Thought maybe the bios did something weird to run a sort of quasi triple channel mode. Probably just something quirky with cpuid.
m
l
a b } Memory
April 11, 2010 4:30:46 AM

some kind of qerk then its not possible to run tri channel with five sticks, kinda self explanatory you need sets of three to run tri channel
m
l
April 11, 2010 6:42:37 AM

Thanks everyone for the info.

After seeing the issues with the Elite 9820T pegatron mobo, I'm not convinced it would be corrected even on the refurbs, as I would suspect HP simply adjusted the Bios, rather than replaced the mobo. Heck, they didn't even adjust the wrongly configured RAM!

The M9600T is a later version, also Elite. There seems to be lots of complaints about it also, but I wonder if the problem got fixed?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/mess...
m
l
April 11, 2010 6:43:02 AM

Best answer selected by zepprx.
m
l
April 11, 2010 6:40:18 PM

Don't some mobos support some sort of tri-channel "flex mode," running some DIMMS in tri channel, others in dual?
m
l
a b } Memory
April 12, 2010 2:30:58 AM

EMDyer said:
Don't some mobos support some sort of tri-channel "flex mode," running some DIMMS in tri channel, others in dual?

no that would require a 5 channel mem controller

older motherboards had the memory controller built into the north bridge, i7 actually has the mem controller on the cpu which is one of the largest reason's the i7 performs so well
m
l
!