Trying_10

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I have had an HP Media centre for about 3 years but the DVD writer likely never worked properly (I only burned CD's initially and that was fine). I just bought another DVD writer and was trying to install it. The one that came out had a rounded 4 pin power supply and 41 pin cable that connects it to the board.(HP dvd640). I just bought an HP dvd1270i, which has an SATA connection with two cables in the back. How do I locate where that goes on the board? My dvd reader (I had a reader and a writer) is still connected to the original cable at the midpoint. I can't see a 7 pin SATA slot on the board. Any chance my computer is too old for that?

Thank you for your help!

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Well, what's the model of your HP Media Centre? Perhaps we can search the manuals and see if your motherboard supports SATA.

A good way to tell is by looking at the HDDs. If your hard drives are connected with SATA (7-pin cable), then follow the cable to the board and that should do it. Make sure you have the right power supply attachments too! Good Luck.