?Use onboard raid or raid card for win 7 drive

zulala

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Great forums, I have been reading them for a few days now.

I am planning to set up a raid 6 using the hardware raid controller, HighPoint RocketRAID 3530 PCI-Express x8 SATA II (3.0Gb/s) Controller Card. The card has 256 mb DDR 533 ram and I will use it in a PCI express x8 slot. It is able to control 12 drives. I want to give win 7 its own drive as raid 0 or raid 1. I have not decided on the 0 or 1 yet. Anyway, should I use the raid card to set up the seperate raid for the OS or use the Mobo controller? I know that the raid card is more reliable than mobo raid, but can I expect it to be as fast? My machine is pretty fast now using just Samsung F3's as the C drive in a raid 1 configuration.

Mobo is Gigabyte 890FXA-Ud5 with the following storage interface:

South Bridge: 1. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10 and JBOD
2. 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors supporting up to 6 SATA 6Gb/s devices

GIGABYTE SATA2 chip: 1. 2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
2. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1 and JBOD
3. 1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices

JMicron JMB362 chip: 1. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1 and JBOD
2. 2 x eSATA 3Gb/s connectors (eSATA/USB Combo) on the back panel sup- porting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices

Also can I load the programs on the Raid 6 ( d: ) and expect at least the same speed that I have now?

MOBO Processor is AMD 1055T
Ram Is G Skill 8gb
4770 512 radeon graphics

Thanks in advance for any help

Zulala

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
The onbaord will probably perform equally as well since you would be using RAID 1 or RAID 0, this would not bethe case with a parity RAID such as 5 or 6 where XOR calcs need to be done since the highpoint controller has a dedicated processor. I would use the onbaord controller running RAID 0 and then image this colume to your RAID 6 array. This will give you optimal performance as well as good redundancy. If this was a server I'd say use RAID 1.

zulala

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

Tokencode,
That sounds like a very logical solution. If i load all the programs on the raid 6 with the OS on a seperate drive, do you think that i will see much of a loss in performance?

Thank you

Zulala