Sign in with
Your question

P6T Deluxe + GTX 260 problem

Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2009 2:10:32 PM

Hello.

I have a problem with my newly built Asus P6T Deluxe V2 system. When I connect video card Gigabyte GTX 260
to the first PCI-E slot, it doesn't work. The screen is blank although otherwise system seems to respond (beeps, reacts to ctrl+alt+del etc.. just no video output). I tried many different configurations with following results:

GTX 260 in PCI-E no. 1 - BLANK SCREEN
GTX 260 in PCI-E no. 2 - BLANK SCREEN
GTX 260 in PCI-E no. 3 - WORKS

GeForce 7300GT in PCI no.1 - WORKS
GeForce 7300GT in PCI no.2 - WORKS
GeForce 7300GT in PCI no.3 - WORKS

I tested each setup at least a few times in different variants and the results are repeatable. I checked everything from checklist, tried with 1 DIMM, cleared CMOS, listened the beep codes with some components removed - no hints there. Either everything works as expected or the only problem is just a blank screen.

I only have 7300GT and GTX260 GPUs available, no other LGA1366 MBs, RAM, CPUs to test. Given that symptoms, how can I confirm which part of my system is malfunctioning so I can RMA it? Or hints how to fix/investigate the problem further?

My setup is:
CPU: Xeon W3520
MOBO: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 260
RAM: 3x2 GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz CL8
PSU: Corsair 850W
BIOS version: the latest, 610

October 17, 2009 2:19:15 PM

Is the old system around still to plug the 260 into?

I'm guessing that 3rd slot is only running in 1x mode. I don't think it will split the 16x lanes until the second slot is populated and they are linked. If you can check on another PCIeX16 slot to see if the 260 does work, that would minimialize the 260 as the issue. Since the 16x lanes work with the 7300GT, my first guess is the 260.
October 17, 2009 3:04:06 PM

I tried GTX 260 with my older MOBO and it works during POST.
Adter a while the system becomes unstable but I suspect that it might be due to weak PSU.
That would mean that P6T is faulty?

I am still not 100% sure because now the situation looks that:
1. GTX260 sometimes work (under P6T's PCI-E no. 3 and an old MOBO)
2. PCI-E no. 1 and 2 on P6t work sometimes too - for GeForce 7300 GT.

It would be great to definitely figure it out...
Related resources
October 17, 2009 3:57:05 PM

The main culprits, would be:
1. bad mobo
2. bad GPU
3. bad power feed. If you can find the specs for the pins on the pcie power connections, take a DMM to it and make sure its providing the right amount of power.

Depending on how much you want to put into this, you could take the corsair and put it with the old system and see if the 260 is stable there. If it is, then the GPU and PSU are probably okay and its the mobo. I'm always very cautious though if a bad PSU is being used. That's up to your comfort level.

I'd wait for someone else to chime in, but I'm curious about running the 7300 in slot 2 with the 260 in slot 3 to see if x8 mode works. But I'm not sure how to force it into x8/x8 from x16/x1.
October 17, 2009 5:44:27 PM

Thanks for advices.

I might try swapping PSU later. For now I assume that GTX 260 works on another system - it worked for a few minutes and the behavior was clearly different than on P6T slot 1-2 where it NEVER generates video output.

Quote:

I'd wait for someone else to chime in, but I'm curious about running the 7300 in slot 2 with the 260 in slot 3 to see if x8 mode works. But I'm not sure how to force it into x8/x8 from x16/x1.

I tried that but the cards will not physically fit together, the slots are too close.

There are 2 more issues I discovered:
1. When I touched I could feel pulsing - clearly it was under voltage even though PSU switch was turned to 'off'. It disappeared when I disconnected PSU cable. I couldn't reproduce it later so at most it happens sporadically. Is that a reason to worry?

2. After I power off the system, turn the PSU to 'off' and wait about a minute the BIOS settings seem to be reset. I tried with a few old batteries so far with no luck - the settings were always erased after some time. I assume that it shouldn't normally happen. If battery is good what could be a reason of this? Can bios auto-reset its settings or can it be related to video issues?

October 17, 2009 5:49:20 PM

That would point at the mobo for the bios. The GPU can draw upto 75w through the pcie 2.0 x16 slot, so if the mobo is at fault and the 260 isn't able to get all the power it needs, could be the problem. If the old mobo gets the 260 its first and most critical 75w, might be why it runs on that. Or, it all stems from the PSU. That would be the best bet to try, new PSU, new GPU, old system.
October 17, 2009 6:00:19 PM

Yeah I suspect MoBo too :( 
I will try with brand battery to be sure, but if it still forgets the settings (regardless of gpu) then I will be pretty sure that P6T is malfunctioning. Faulty PSU shouldn't cause BIOS settings to reset?
November 6, 2009 11:55:13 PM

Hello.

I have the exactly problem that you and i have this problem with 2 machins (2 mobos Asus P6T Deluxe V2 and 2 video card GTX 260: it doesn't work. The screen is blank although otherwise system seems to respond (beeps, reacts to ctrl+alt+del etc.. just no video output). I tried many different configurations with following results:

GTX 260 in PCI-E no. 1 - BLANK SCREEN
GTX 260 in PCI-E no. 2 - BLANK SCREEN
GTX 260 in PCI-E no. 3 - WORKS

GeForce 9600GT in PCI no.1 - WORKS
GeForce 9600GT in PCI no.2 - WORKS
GeForce 9600GT in PCI no.3 - WORKS

I tested the GTX 260 VIDEO CARDS in another mother boart asus P5 SERIES and works perfectly.
I usud diferents PSU (850w and 1000w) with the same problems.

I THINK: THIS IS A CONFIGURATION PROBLEM OR JUMPER OR...PLEASE GOD HELP ME...

My setup is:
CPU: INTEL I7 920
MOBO: Asus P6T Deluxe V2
GPU: XFX GTX 260
RAM: 3x3 GB Corsair 1600MHz 1,65V
PSU: XFX 850W
BIOS version: the latest, 610[/quotemsg]
November 11, 2009 11:19:04 PM

Hi,

I've the exact same problem. My vga works fine on my friend's Biostar X58A motherboard but not on my Asus p6t.

Can someone please help ? I've tried writing to ASUS Help, will update here if something works out.

My setup is:
Intel i7 920
Asus P6T with Latest Bios 0801
Palit GTX 260 core 216
3 x 2gb Patriot Viper 1600Mhz
Corsair TX 850watts
!