Do I need a new Router?

michaelt86

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Hi,

I am currently using a BEFSR41B router from Linksys. I have had it for over 5 years and it is still working, however, it seems that my ping is rather unstable while playing America's Army 3. My latency jumps from 20-150ms and everywhere in between while in thick action on 18-26 player capacity servers.

I am not sure if I should get a new router or just tweak the settings on this one. I was looking at the LINKSYS WRT54GL, I have updated the firmware on my current router successfully more than a few times.

Would the LINKSYS WRT54GL and its third party firmware increase the speed of my games and keep my ping more stable? or is there another router that could keep my ping stable in America's Army 3?

My specs:

AMD 3700+ 2.2ghz single core sandiego
Asus A8n sli premium
2gb OCZ ram (dont remember speed/FSB)
600W ocz modxstream psu
8800GTS 320mb evga
BEFSR41B
MediaCom cable modem (standard speed)

I have forwarded a few ports for AA3 such as the authentication, gameplay, and depoy client servers. I also "enabled" MTU and set it to 1500 on my router (Not sure what this does but I used to do it when playing counter strike source back in 2004 to increase speed or attempt to.

ryanmission

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
The MTU is the Maximum Transmission Unit, and 1500 is the industry standard for packet sizes.

A 5 year old router should work just fine...but what i REALLY think you should do, is just buy a new router from a big box store like Bestbuy, test it out and see if it improves anything. If it does, good. If it doesnt, then return it. This way you can eliminate the router as being the source of the problem.

michaelt86

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Called my cable company and had them pink my connection. Through my router its roughly 12-44ms, but through the cable modem alone its 12-30ms so there's 25% decrease in performance through router (or so the cable company says).

Also when I do google check my bandwith and use some of the sites, the first one on the list said my d/l speed was 8500kbps through cable modem and 4500-5400 through router (did it a few times through router).

ryanmission

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
I think you meant Ping, not pink. Stands for Packet Internet Groper in case you're wondering.

And i guess it does look like its your router.

Also, do you have any other people using the network? Such as wifi? Someone might be leeching your bandwidth if you're unprotected...though its probably unlikely. Just go grab a new router and see how it goes.

Goodl luck!

michaelt86

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
It's a wired BEFSR41 and the other computer on the router was turned off (not in use) during pinging.

I could use some advice on my next router purchase. I want wireless capability along with solid wired gaming performance (I'll have my desktop wired to the router, but I want the ability to surf on my laptop all over the house.)

ryanmission

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Wireless N is the new thing...its apparently much faster than standard b/g wifi. Unfortunately you'll need a Wireless N card on your laptop to take advantage of it.

I have a D-Link DGL-4500 gigabit gaming router, and i love it. I havent had a chance to mess around with all it's features, and i dont have a wireless N card, cause my laptop is crappy. Its a little expensive....but i got it on sale.

Just look for 2 things mainly, Wireless N (for future proofing, unless you already have a wireless N card), and gigabit interfaces for fast transfer speeds within your own network. (assuming your devices also have gigabit interfaces.)

michaelt86

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
My current router has its "WORKING MODE" set to "GATEWAY" but there is also the option of "ROUTER" should I set my routers Working mode to Router instead of gateway?

Will that increase my bandwidth?

Currently I have 6-8mbps (download) bandwidth through router, but when plugged directly into my cable modem I have 10-12 mbps (download).

michaelt86

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
What is a dropped router connection?

I haven't had any issues with my current router other than bandwidth tests say its giving me 6-7mbps D/L while when I'm directly hooked to the modem I get 9-11mbps D/L.

My ISP rates the cable connection I purchase at up to 12mbps.

Should I get the DLINK DIR-655?

I will be using wired connection for gaming (I have Ethernet installed in my house's walls) - I just want the wireless feature for future proof/ friends family who bring laptops over.