Dell E228WFP display problems

Laney

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Hi,

i'm a first time poster. I have a Dell E228WFP 22" monitor which i have owned for about a year now. The monitor has recently developed an intimitant backlighting problem in which the screen appears to go black but small traces of the desktop can be seen in the correct light. With a monitor restart the backlight returns, however i changed the resolution to 800x600 and returned it to its native 1680x1050 and recieved the following error message;-

1: Auto Detect (Digital Input)

Cannot Display This Video Mode
Optimum Resolution 1680 x1050 60Hz

after returning the resolution down to 1600x1024 and up to 1680x1050 again it decided it would work. I'm really grasping at straws here, i'm guessing it may be a monitor problem but it seems odd its so intermittent. Another thought is it may be my graphics cards but i recently updated my BIOS and graphics card drivers and has yielded no possitive results. Any help on this matter would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

hallowed_dragon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

I think it is a monitor problem. If you still have warranty I suggest you use it.
A GPU problem would have appeared in another form: artifacts, no picture on the monitor, color degradation.

Laney

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Thanks for your reply, what i dont understand is when i turn my monitor off and on again the back light returns. Does this rule out a bad connection?