Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking phenom II x6 1090T on gigabyte 990FXA-D3 help.

Last response: in Overclocking
February 4, 2012 8:50:09 PM

Hi everyone.

just installed my old computer in a new case with a new cooler and PSU.

Gigabyte 990FXA-D3 mobo.
AMD Phenom 1090T BE edition.
dual channel corsair vengeance CL9 ram 2x4g 1600mhz
Cooler Master silent pro 1300w PSU.
Corsair H80.

trying to reach 4ghz over clock.
so far i have it stable at 3.8ghz @1.45V and 3.9@1.55 prime crashes at voltages lower then 1.55 o.o for clocks higher then 3.8

but as soon as i go to 4.0 it crashes. i have taken the vcore up to 1.55 but i dont want to go any higher because people say they can achieve 4.0ghz @1.45v.

when i ran prime95 at 4ghz @1.55v the test ran for about a minute then 1 core would crash then the whole system would BSOD.
my system is not running hot.

i have disabled all the power saving crap in the bios and im just increasing the multiplier and the voltage for the cpu.

does anyone know if i am doing something wrong? or does anyone have any advice for me?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2012 9:45:04 PM

First off, that voltage is too high. Run lower voltages. Try increasing the FSB. AMD CPUs are kinda funny like that. Some overclock insanely well, and some hit the wall at 3.8Ghz.
m
l
February 4, 2012 10:14:45 PM

Someone told me I need to lower the voltage and oc the NB to reach high clocks that are stable. Is that true and would the NB generate much more heat running higher?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2012 11:33:04 PM

TwistedFate67 said:
Someone told me I need to lower the voltage and oc the NB to reach high clocks that are stable. Is that true and would the NB generate much more heat running higher?

Don't increase the voltage past 1.45v, as I believe that is the highest for that chip. You can check on AMD's web site. Sure, go ahead and try to OC the NB a bit.
m
l
February 4, 2012 11:36:08 PM

Do you have any idea how much I would have to oc the northbridge? It's currently at 2ghz and stock voltage.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2012 11:43:49 PM

TwistedFate67 said:
Do you have any idea how much I would have to oc the northbridge? It's currently at 2ghz and stock voltage.

On something I saw it was to increase it my a couple hundred mhz. Not sure though because I don't OC it.
m
l
!