IDE to SATA adapter HELP!

sygma

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I bought an 'Ultra IDE to SATA' adapter for so I can use my IDE dvd drive and use it in my motherboard that only uses SATA ports.

I've plunged it in to how it says to do it, the led is glowing so I assume its at work, but its still not picking up my DVD-drive in 'My Computer'.

Is there something I missed out? I've pluged my 4-pin floppy power connector to the card and my sata cable. Is there something I need to do in bios?

mavroxur

Distinguished
1) Make sure that the SATA port is enabled in the BIOS, and that all appropriate cables are detected. Most of the cards will require power, and it sounds like you connected that.

2) Some really cheap IDE to SATA bridges won't work with optical drives (e.g. $3 ones from eBay sometimes). Try an IDE hard drive. If it works with a hard drive, but an optical drive, join the crowd. I've bought them before and been screwed by this.

mavroxur

Distinguished

His question wasn't if he should do it or not. He asked why it wasn't working. Sometimes people are on a budget, or are working with that they've got.