Sign in with
Your question
Solved

H60 normal temps?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2012 9:54:38 PM

Hi, I have a H60 cooler and it seems pretty good, but I am not sure the temps are what they should be. My maximum temp @ 1.33v @ 4.5Ghz was 80C in Prime and it hits around 65C while gaming. I see people running a Hyper 212+ getting around these marks. If anyone has a H60, please help me out. Are these normal temps? I am running a 2500k CPU.

More about : h60 normal temps

a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2012 5:20:20 PM

Do you have the H60 set up in Push/Pull? And is it drawing air into the case?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2012 5:22:11 PM

vollman1 said:
Do you have the H60 set up in Push/Pull? And is it drawing air into the case?

Just pulling out of the case.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2012 5:29:29 PM

Think that the temps are high for that cooler (I use the H100). But best cooling is Push/Pull drawing cool air into the case.

If you want to do an easy experiment to check if it is an air flow issue inside of your case, open the side panel and run your benchmarks. Or, even add a fan and run them.

If your temps drop when your case is open, you may also have an air flow issue. In that case (no pun intended), you would need to clean up your wiring and make sure that their is good circulation. You may even need to add more fans.

But, really, for starters go with Push/Pull and intake air.

I would be interested in knowing which case you are using if you can put up a link.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2012 5:35:03 PM

vollman1 said:
Think that the temps are high for that cooler (I use the H100). But best cooling is Push/Pull drawing cool air into the case.

If you want to do an easy experiment to check if it is an air flow issue inside of your case, open the side panel and run your benchmarks. Or, even add a fan and run them.

If your temps drop when your case is open, you may also have an air flow issue. In that case (no pun intended), you would need to clean up your wiring and make sure that their is good circulation. You may even need to add more fans.

But, really, for starters go with Push/Pull and intake air.

I would be interested in knowing which case you are using if you can put up a link.

I am using a Armor A60 with two extra fans. I don't think airflow is an issue. I can check later though.
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 12:07:15 AM

You should get another fan for push/pull. I have it on an h80.
m
l
a c 146 K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 12:30:45 AM

The H50,60,70,80 series frankly isn't very impressive and easily outperformed by the top air coolers.....still 80 is high for 4.5 Ghz
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 2:24:21 AM

Well, I have heard push/pull only makes a 2-5C difference, so I may try taking off the thermal paste and re-doing it. I may have done too much. I know it wasn't too little! :p 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 2:26:07 AM

you didn't add thermal paste to the cpu before mounting the H60 did you? The H60 has pre-applied paste :o 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 2:28:34 AM

vollman1 said:
you didn't add thermal paste to the cpu before mounting the H60 did you? The H60 has pre-applied paste :o 

I did, as I have a tube of MX-4 which is supposed to be better and lasts for 8 years, so I used that.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 2:32:07 AM

the pre-applied paste is high quality (Shin-etzu I think) and no need to use any other. Most likely it was the application of the other paste that is causing the temps. :( 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 2:33:41 AM

vollman1 said:
the pre-applied paste is high quality (Shin-etzu I think) and no need to use any other. Most likely it was the application of the other paste that is causing the temps. :( 

Well, I didn't put the paste over the stock paste, I cleaned it all off. I will try it again. Thanks for the help! I will keep you posted! :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 2:38:01 AM

Good Luck :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 1:08:25 PM

Quote:
im unfamiliar with how the h60 is set up but if there is pre applied paste like the other user said and you added thermal paste of your own, the high temps are definitely from too much paste. you really dont need very much thermal paste, youtube a video on how to apply it as a guide. too much thermal paste can actually inhibit heat transfer

Yes, I know, so I think that is my issue. I thought I was getting good temps because I have only used a stock cooler before and this seemed pretty cool, but now I realize I did something wrong. I will do it as my "PC Project" today after school! :p 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 9:54:34 PM

Well, I did it and temps are the same!!!!!! :fou:  Should I use even less? At first the paste didn't cover the whole CPU, so I added a little more. (I started out with the line method) Should I not cover the whole CPU? Is just one line method fine?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 9:55:04 PM

Actually, temps are higher. :??: 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 11:43:38 PM

It's definitely a paste issue. All I can say is: too little is bad and too much is bad. But I err on the side of a little bit too little.

Just a pea sized drop in the middle and then add the cooler imo.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 11:47:03 PM

vollman1 said:
It's definitely a paste issue. All I can say is: too little is bad and too much is bad. But I err on the side of a little bit too little.

Just a pea sized drop in the middle and then add the cooler imo.

That is what I did and now temps went basically (back to normal. (1-4C more than they were before) I am thinking of doing even less. Does the whole CPU need to be covered? Or just most of it, because the rice method doesn't cover the whole thing.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 11:50:15 PM

There are many opinions on this but I saw a video and the guy went through every method. Putting a pea sized dot in the middle (maybe slightly oval from top to bottom) and then adding the cooler should be fine.

Make sure that you tighten the screws in a criss-cross pattern. I am sure that you are, but I just want to cover all bases. :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 11:53:05 PM

Yeah, did that. I think I am doing it properly, but obviously something is wrong. I will try even less paste in a little bit. Maybe tomorrow.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 11:53:51 PM

I really hope it works out for you.
m
l
February 7, 2012 4:14:01 AM

If you have a case with good airflow then that 65 c if gaming is a bet high. If your computer case is very restrictive (mid-ATX or smaller cases) then it could will be normal. Make sure that you have exhaust fan at the top besides the rear exhaust fan & additional intake fan on the side panel besides the front intake fan. Pull fan barely has any effect though it's a nice addition if you can do a push & pull set up.

I think your temp is about what can be expected if you're using a very restrictive case in terms of air flow. You can probably improve the temp by following the suggestions above. Just remember the common principle of "Hot air rises" & it's very important to have that top exhaust fan.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2012 7:35:42 PM

Cheaptrick said:
If you have a case with good airflow then that 65 c if gaming is a bet high. If your computer case is very restrictive (mid-ATX or smaller cases) then it could will be normal. Make sure that you have exhaust fan at the top besides the rear exhaust fan & additional intake fan on the side panel besides the front intake fan. Pull fan barely has any effect though it's a nice addition if you can do a push & pull set up.

I think your temp is about what can be expected if you're using a very restrictive case in terms of air flow. You can probably improve the temp by following the suggestions above. Just remember the common principle of "Hot air rises" & it's very important to have that top exhaust fan.

Yeah, I got 2 top exhaust fans. I at the point were I don't think temps are really gonna change as taking off more paste I think will be too little. I will see later though probably if I have time.
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
February 7, 2012 8:49:02 PM

Did you keep the plastic thingy on for the backplate? Not sure if that would help at all though.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2012 10:02:53 PM

Don't underestimate the power of a plastic thingy! :p 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2012 10:38:08 PM

Well, I am not looking to return the cooler, as nothing broken on it. It has a 5 year warranty, and yes, I kept the plastic thingy. :p 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 7, 2012 10:44:39 PM

But seriously, I think amuffin was trying to point out that the plastic thingy is an insulator and prevents the mobo from a possible short if it isn't installed.

So.. yes, if you haven't already done so, make sure it is installed as amuffin said.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2012 12:22:33 AM

Yeah, I have it on. I know about the shorting out. Haha.
m
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
February 8, 2012 12:46:57 AM

Can you even hear it pumping?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2012 1:20:04 AM

Haha, I wouldn't even know what would sound like! :p  The tubes are vibrating though, which means it is working. So yeah, it is pumping.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2012 4:03:49 PM

Quote:
if you just recently purchased it, I think exchanging it for a new one would be a good way of seeing whether or not your previous one was faulty. Also theres the added benefit of this time around you know not to add your own thermal paste and figure out whether its the thermal paste causing the problem or not.

Well, I got it for christmas from my parents and am not actually sure when they even ordered it. If it is a paste issue, then I won't return it because it isn't actually broken, and I am pretty sure it is just my paste.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 12:55:21 AM

@Amuffin, you have a H80, could you see if one tube vibrates more than the other? One of my tubes BARELY vibrates and the other vibrates a good amount. You could feel your and see for me? Thanks!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 12:58:50 AM

My tubes don't vibrate on the H100. Maybe you have air in the pump? I have heard of a few people who had to return their units because of that. But you would usually hear a noise.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:15:38 AM

vollman1 said:
My tubes don't vibrate on the H100. Maybe you have air in the pump? I have heard of a few people who had to return their units because of that. But you would usually hear a noise.

When I contacted Corsair before about a different issue, they said the tubes should vibrate, which they both are, but one much more than the other. They should vibrate to the touch.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:18:51 AM

hmm I have to take a second look (feel) at mine :na: 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:20:39 AM

Haha! Okay! :p 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:25:49 AM

ahh haha my pump is always on low setting, so the vibrations must be very faint (cannot feel them over the case fans vibrations). But turning up the pump to high caused a little more vibration, but still very faint.

How much vibration are you getting?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:32:33 AM

One tube has a pretty decent amount of vibration to the touch and the other barely has any even to the touch. If yours barely does on the maximum setting, I am not going to worry about that part unless you have something that you think would help.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:50:46 AM

That heavy vibration would be enough for me to justify a return.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:54:09 AM

vollman1 said:
That heavy vibration would be enough for me to justify a return.

Well, it only vibrates to the touch. The Corsair guy said it was supposed to when I talked to him. He said it meant the pump was working. Why would it be bad????
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:56:37 AM

Let's see how much amuffin's vibrates. You may have some air in the pump though, which would make it vibrate more and cause the higher temps that you originally posted about.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:57:44 AM

Okay, I will see what he says. What does the air inside do?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:58:16 AM

Wouldn't they still both vibrate the same?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 2:02:10 AM

I don't think they would vibrate the same. We can wait on amuffin's opinion if you want, but I would say that you have a justifiable reason to return and get a replacement.
m
l

Best solution

a c 324 K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:16:06 PM

If you can dismount the rad and rotate it in all directions while the pump is running, it should dislodge any air that might be causing a loss in flow.

There isn't much else you can do for a LCS cooler if it isn't working as there aren't any user-serviceable components. Thermal paste likely isn't your issue- even if you use too much, if you mount it correctly, it should squeeze the excess out to make good contact. It's technically possible to have too much, but this would also mean you have a very poor mount.
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:19:29 PM

rubix_1011 said:
If you can dismount the rad and rotate it in all directions while the pump is running, it should dislodge any air that might be causing a loss in flow.

There isn't much else you can do for a LCS cooler if it isn't working as there aren't any user-serviceable components. Thermal paste likely isn't your issue- even if you use too much, if you mount it correctly, it should squeeze the excess out to make good contact. It's technically possible to have too much, but this would also mean you have a very poor mount.

Alright, I will try that! Haha, I don't think that the mount ir bad cause it is the Corsair one that came with it. The cooler is on pretty solid. I tightened it really tight. If that doesn't work, I will see about returning it. How fast/slow should I turn the rad?

Thanks a lot for the help guys, it means a lot! :) 
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:27:15 PM

Just rotate it slowly, maybe even gently shaking. Ideally, you'll want to orient the radiator with the tubing at the bottom as this will isolate the inlet/outlets below the coolant and force the pump to only pull coolant vs. any air.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:31:25 PM

Well, the tubes are at the bottom, but I will do it anyway. I will get back to you in a bit. How long should I turn it for? Just a slow turn all the way around once, or a couple turns? I have never done this before, so sorry for all the questions!
m
l
a c 324 K Overclocking
February 9, 2012 1:33:55 PM

Hmm...if it's mounted with the inlet/outlet tubing at the bottom, this usually isn't an issue. Either way, if you do this, make sure you also move the rad higher than the pump unit in case there it has an airlock in the pump unit...this will force the air bubble to rise into the radiator.

If this doesn't work, you might seek an RMA. Most people are typically happy with these units, so I guess it depends on what you are seeing at idle/load temps after messing with it.
m
l
!