Your question

Where to start

Last response: in Motherboards
April 8, 2010 10:57:47 PM

Trouble shooting my system.

Specs:
Nvidia 680I sli mother board
Intel e6600 chip, 2.66ghz dual core, stock intel cooler
2 gig corsair memory, dont know the timing off the top of my head but it is stock.
2 Nvidia 8800 GTX video cards
silver stone 850 watt power supply.

My problem is that when I turn it on it goes through the post with no errors, but the bios display shows a bunch of "?" marks then boots up.
Once it boots, win XP Home, the display is less than 800 x 600 and will not change even though the setting shows 1900 x 1200. I have downloaded the most recent drivers for the video cards which still did not help.

Any thoughts on where to start first?

More about : start

a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2010 11:02:09 PM

I would start by removing your display drivers, and the second GPU. Run driversweeper in safe-mode, and then install the latest drivers with one GPU installed- make sure you can get ONE to work first. Then I would proceed to trying to get SLI working.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2010 7:41:34 AM

Corrupted BIOS. Or a dead CMOS battery, which can cause a corrupted BIOS.

As far as the display goes, it sounds like it's defaulting to the settings you get when you've inserted a video card for the first time but not configured it yet. Which seems to me like it means the system is forgetting the cards every time you shut down and re-detecting them as new hardware every time you power on. That would mean a BIOS or battery problem.

This is a system that's 3+ years old, correct? If yes, all the more likely that the battery is dead.
m
l
Related resources
a c 140 V Motherboard
April 9, 2010 6:06:39 PM

^+1
m
l
April 9, 2010 8:12:39 PM

capt_taco said:
Corrupted BIOS. Or a dead CMOS battery, which can cause a corrupted BIOS.

As far as the display goes, it sounds like it's defaulting to the settings you get when you've inserted a video card for the first time but not configured it yet. Which seems to me like it means the system is forgetting the cards every time you shut down and re-detecting them as new hardware every time you power on. That would mean a BIOS or battery problem.

This is a system that's 3+ years old, correct? If yes, all the more likely that the battery is dead.

Yes, its at least 3 years old. I am going to try the battery change and see if that does the trick.

Thanks for the suggestions.
m
l
!