Sign in with
Your question

Processor overheating?

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2010 4:43:36 PM

Hello!Sorry if this is the wrong the section, I think this is right.

I have a few problems/questions about my CPU. I have a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz (E4500)

Recently I've been checking temperatures using nVidia MonitorView, and I noticed that the CPU tends to idle at around 45 to 50 degrees, and under load up to 70 degrees. This seems higher than it should, and I worry that it would cause damage.

I haven't overclocked anything but the RAM, though I doubt that's the problem (but then, what do I know :p ). I don't think I had these problems when I first got the PC nearly 2 years ago. Is it possible that the thermal paste is "deteriorating"? What could the problem be? And how can I fix it?

Another question, I was hoping I could do a minor overclock on the CPU once the temperature is fixed. Maybe to 2.6 or 2.8 Ghz? Although there's something that might be stopping me. When I was building the PC I noticed that the connector to the CPU from the PSU was only 4-pin, though the CPU had a 8-pin socket. I was told this wasn't a problem (and it hasn't been), but if I wanted to overclock, would it be? I get the feeling something might get damaged if I increased the voltage.

Also, my processor is supposed to run at 1.325 volts I believe, but with the voltage setting at "Auto" in the BIOS, my processor is apparently at 1.295 volts (according to "CPU-Z"). Would this be related to the 4-pin connector or am I just worrying too much?

Forgive me if any of these are stupid questions. Any help would be muchly appreciated!

More about : processor overheating

a c 251 à CPUs
January 3, 2010 4:52:03 PM

If your MoBo has an 8 pin socket, you should use the PSU's 8 pin (or 4+4) EPS plug.

Use coretemp / realtemp to confirm temps....check BIOS as well to see if software readings match what you see in BIOS.

Run OCCT to monitor temps over an hour....not as harsh a test as prime95 but it does give you voltage and temp graphs which you can then analyze for anomalies.

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php
a c 83 à CPUs
January 3, 2010 4:52:32 PM

I have no clue what your mean the 4pin connector to the cpu, the cpu doesn't have any power connectors. So I can't help you on that one.

Your cpu temp is a bit high, you should remount your heatsink with some new paste(personal preference is artic silver 5), or even consider getting a cheap aftermarket cooler as it'll be better than the Intel stock cooler. It is also possible that you have a dust build up in the PC, cleaning out the dust could lower your temps.

Don't worry about cpu-z telling you your voltage is at 1.295, it is fine. I've yet to see a motherboard where the voltage doesn't fluctuate a litte.
Related resources
January 3, 2010 5:01:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. Well, a friend helped build the computer with me.. well, he did most the stuff :p  so I'm not too knowledgeable about some things. I might (probably) be wrong about the CPU having a power socket, but I remember something needed an 8 pin connector when we only had a 4 pin. It's possible my friend was wrong/couldn't find it, but I don't doubt his abilities!

This is the PSU I'm using: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/...

My Motherboard is a XFX nForce 680i LT.
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2010 5:30:49 PM

Ah good ol' 680i. When you will overclock, I expect you to hit a FSB hole which is when you raise your FSB to a certain level, the motherboard doesn't recognize it until you raise it way far above the normal level.
January 3, 2010 5:39:22 PM

Ah.. well, I wasn't planning on doing any major overclocking anyway :p . Although I don't know too much about the FSB in regards to overclocking. I'd do a lot of reading before I actually did :p .

Would anyone know if there's something wrong with my PSU connectors though? Thanks again!
January 3, 2010 7:17:41 PM

JackNaylorPE, I tried that OCCT program you mentioned, though after 10 minutes (with the CPU around 66 degrees) I got an error on core 1, is this particularly bad? :S
!