My system is running WAY hot : Questions

xxzabxx

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Below are my cpu-z and HW monitor SS's

I was running prime95 because i noted my system REALLY heating up one day. I was observing temps, and core got to 70+ before I stopped it (in only a few short mins too)

I have an antec 900 case with my case-fan switches set to high. Stock cooling for cpu - never had issues before on non oc systems with stock cooling.

Cable management is not great, I'll be honest, but I dont think that can cause this much trouble...

Any thoughts or assistance would be appreciated.

*as a note - I'm sitting here typing this, and I am @ 41-43c with not a ton running (basically firefox, hwmon, cpu-z and paint - which should be nothing for this computer)

*confuzzled* :heink:

**note** Screen Shots taken imediately after running prime95 - seems to idle around 41-40c**

cpuzss.jpg

CPUIDHWMONSS.jpg

xxzabxx

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I definately plan on doing that - probably gonna check out newegg tonight. That said, those numbers look weird to me. For instance the voltage numbers having such a large difference. And the drastically hot idle speed too. Any one have thoughts on those numbers, they look odd or not to any one?

caqde

Distinguished
Just a wonder. Have you cleaned out the inside of your case with a compressed air can recently. If I don't blow the dirt off my Phenom II 925's heatsink I will get temps like that after a while. My CPU idles at 36-38 and I have load temps of around 55-60 but if the heatsink is really dirty my idle goes up to the lower 40's and load goes up to 68-72+. I would try blowing any dust off the heatsink even if it doesn't look really dusty can't hurt.

xxzabxx

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

Good call/ I own a pug and the gf smokes. I'll hit that up with some compressed air and see how it works.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
.Clean it first and Reseat your stock cooler

You have an Antec 900 case with great cooling and rather sucky cable management. I know; I own three.

I also know the thing sounds like a freakin' vacuum cleaner with all of the fans set on HIGH.

Two of mine have Intel quads (Q9550 and Q6600) overclocked to CPU core limits using better than average, but not great coolers. With all of the case fans set on LOW, load temps stay under 70 C.

If you are running stock freqs with a stock cooler, your temps should be much better.

By the way, with a little work, you can mod your case for a little better cable management:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264112-28-antec