How to repair/get data from dropped harddisk.

Hello.

I dropped my harddisk 2.5" and now i really need some files.
the hdd was running, and now it is clicking. i do have an identical hdd, can i swap the laser og disk or do something?
17 answers Last reply
More about repair data dropped harddisk
  1. As soon as possible perform a cloning operation and clone the 'clicking' disk onto a good disk.

    Apricorn's Drivewire is suitable along with their EZ Gig IV program. I have used this and it works very well.

    There are others like EASEUS TODO BACKUP that has a cloning feature, and also Acronis, but I do not have personal experience with them.
  2. hmm i think you misunderstood. i cant find the disk in windows. :s i need something like reparing the laser or switch the discs
  3. There are no lasers in a hard disk. The data is written and read on magnetic platters by read/write heads.

    There are some commercial places that will recover the data for you, but they are expensive.
  4. piphansdk said:
    hmm i think you misunderstood. i cant find the disk in windows. :s i need something like reparing the laser or switch the discs


    Your hdd has lasers? Dude, did you recover it from a crashed alien spaceship??
  5. geekapproved said:
    Your hdd has lasers? Dude, did you recover it from a crashed alien spaceship??

    :) - A little levity now and then helps break the monotony!

    These hard disk lasers are almost invisible to the naked eye. They can be seen using an Electron Beam Microscope available at K-Mart. Located in the Sporting Goods section right next to Women's Underwear! All a person has to look for are bras and panties!
  6. ¤youngster: it is NOT in windows, or either in the BIOS. the "thing" i thought was a laser is clicking.

    ¤all: therefore i was thinking about to change some of the part inside maybe the "laser/ head" what ever it is, and then recover my files. I dont have the money to pay 1000$ for recovering my files. but it could be nice to give it a shot my self.
  7. piphansdk said:
    ¤youngster: it is NOT in windows, or either in the BIOS. the "thing" i thought was a laser is clicking.

    ¤all: therefore i was thinking about to change some of the part inside maybe the "laser/ head" what ever it is, and then recover my files. I dont have the money to pay 1000$ for recovering my files. but it could be nice to give it a shot my self.

    Do a cloning operation as I suggested in my first post above. This is the right remedy for a clicking disk.
  8. Okay great. do you have some sort of guide og step by step on how to do it?
  9. piphansdk said:
    Okay great. do you have some sort of guide og step by step on how to do it?

    The Apricorn instructions for cloning are very clear and easy to understand.
    http://www.apricorn.com/products/notebook-hard-drive-upgrade-kits/drivewire-ide-pata-sata-to-usb-hdd-adapter.html
  10. but isn't this only if the drive is oaky? like, i can see it in the bios? i did try to put it into a external hdd box, an connected through usb. but it is still making the clicking noise?
  11. piphansdk said:
    but isn't this only if the drive is oaky? like, i can see it in the bios? i did try to put it into a external hdd box, an connected through usb. but it is still making the clicking noise?

    The 'clicking' noise is a warning that the drive will fail soon. If this is an Operating System drive, clone it as soon as possible. In any case transfer the data while the drive is still spinning and ignore the clicking noise.
  12. but i cant see how i can clone the disk, while i cant see it in bios when the hdd is connected through sata and psu power?
  13. piphansdk said:
    but i cant see how i can clone the disk, while i cant see it in bios when the hdd is connected through sata and psu power?

    Then you may have to take this disk to a data recovery service. Expensive!
  14. and what they are doing isn't that something i can?
  15. piphansdk said:
    and what they are doing isn't that something i can?

    No. This cannot be done by the average person. Requires a clean room in order to transfer the platters onto another disk.
  16. laser harddrive? way more awesome than downloading ram.
  17. also dropping while read/writing means the header might have clip the platter, permanently destroying some data.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage