New Build, Sufficient CPU Cooler? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
I am buying a 2500k i5 CPU and I want to overclock it in the future. The case I am getting is an Arvina Extreme Series by Sentey so the cooler I need, needs to be able to fit inside that case. It's a full atx tower (atleast that's what newegg says) so there should be enough for any cooler, but I am not entirely sure what will fit and what wont. Please check the specs here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811322006

Here is the cooler I was thinking of getting:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835288001&Tpk=EVGA%20Super%20Clock

The problem is, now that I am getting a Arvina case, I need to get a Blue LED cooler. The Arvina case has blue LED lights and it would look weird with a red LED cooler. Is there a blue version of this cooler? Is there a sufficient cooler that has a blue LED fan? Please do not suggest a Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler. I was thinking of getting the EVO version of that but then found out how big it was and I am not willing to give up a RAM slot for a cooler. What do you think of the ZALMAN cooler?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223

If there is a cooler that is $50 or less that will fit in that case and doesn't have a blue LED but is better, I will take it. I just want to give my build a good look. Btw, this is my mobo if it will help at all:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130583

I am going to be doing SLI GTX 460. And I am going to be using 8GB (2x4GB) Black Corsair Vengeance RAM. I do NOT want a cooler that will cover up a RAM slot. I know the Vengeance ones are tall.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Solution
SLI 460 isn't a good idea. You may run into micro-stuttering problems, and you'll leave yourself without an upgrade path. I recommend getting a single, powerful card, probably a 570.

That case doesn't have a window, so you won't be able to see your cooler at all, much less be bothered by the color of its fan. Just get a CM Hyper 212 EVO or a Scythe Mugen 3.

Replace that mobo with an ASRock Z68 Extreme3.
SLI 460 isn't a good idea. You may run into micro-stuttering problems, and you'll leave yourself without an upgrade path. I recommend getting a single, powerful card, probably a 570.

That case doesn't have a window, so you won't be able to see your cooler at all, much less be bothered by the color of its fan. Just get a CM Hyper 212 EVO or a Scythe Mugen 3.

Replace that mobo with an ASRock Z68 Extreme3.

Solution
Huh! the Evga cooler will interfere with dimms way more then the EVO.
It's the depth of a cooler that creates ram issues.
Evo = 80mm
EVGA = 91mm
The EVO fan is non-led.
Not crazy about your case choice since it doesn't include any top mount fans.
Heat rises = most $40-50 cases now have at least one top mount fan space(many have two)
I'd choose a case with 2 top exhaust mounts especially if i was using 2 gpu's.

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Whoah! How come I never found this motherboard? It's way better and like $10 more. Thanks so much! For the SLI GTX 460, I already have one GTX 460, I will just be adding another. I still don't understand Micro-stuttering. Does it mean that SLI cards might suffer performance because of different clocks??? lol. I read that article from the link you gave me, still confused. I am going with the SLI GTX 460. It's either that or I stick with one 460 for now. Might as well buy another, then when I am done with them, sell both to a friend then get a 560 or 570. Yeah I guess you are right, are you SURE that the CM Hyper 212 evo will not block any RAM slots and will fit in my case? I want to use all the RAM slots eventually with x4 4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM. For now I am just getting 2.

Thanks!

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

There are 2 top mounted fans. It says on newegg under cooling. Here is a copy and paste.
Cooling System
80mm Fans
2 x 80mm Blue Led Side Fans
120mm Fans
2 x 120mm Blue Led Top Fans <-----------------------------
1 x 120mm Blue Led Rear Fan
140mm Fans
1 x 120mm Blue Led Front Fan

Yeah I think I might go with evo. I am not crazy about the case choice either. Not the greatest plastic, and the fans aren't the best. But it's a $100 and alot better than what I currently have, plus it looks cool, has good air flow, its black, and its a full atx tower, and it has HDD trays and OD locks, and a nice amount of space on mobo side panel for cable management plus it has alot of usbs and media card readers and external Sata ports for quick HDD use. It is what I definitely want. lol. Even if the plastic and fans are cheap, I can fix the fan problem, and I can treat the plastic with care.

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Alright. Thanks so much about the motherboard. I didn't want to get a MSI one to begin with, but it had x16 x8 slots and 4 DDr3 slots. There was alot of people who got the motherboard DOA'd. Thanks for the help!

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Did you read all of it? The cons on it can be avoided. So I am going to get that case. It will fit my needs.

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Also are you SURE I won't have any space issues with the CM 212?

What's the model of your RAM? Is it the Vengeance with the stupid tall heatsinks, or the Vengeance that's slick and low-profile? If it's low-profile, stop now: you're fine.

I'm almost completely certain. Here's a thread in which one person states that they have no problems with the EVO and a P8Z68 V-PRO. It looks to me, comparing the bird's eye pictures of the V-PRO and the Extreme3, like the space between the RAM and the CPU is almost exactly the same. Therefore, you should have no problems fitting it in.
Even if you get the parts, put it all together and find that the EVO interferes with the first RAM slot (which it won't), you can always stick the fan on the other side of the CPU, pulling instead of pushing.

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Lol it's the stupid tall ones. Still problems? These ones to be exact. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144

Status
Not open for further replies.