newbie needs help

graqfreak

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2003
i wanna set up a wireless network at home, but im not sure what to get to be able to do it

i got 2 wireless adapters already, cuz i use wireless connection at school, at home i use dial-up ADSL connection.

i read some articles, but im a lil bit confused, should i buy a access point and connect it to my pc which also connects to the dsl modem, so that it can dial up the connection and the AP can share it?
or should i buy a wireless router instead and connect it straight to the DSL modem, i dnt think its gonna work since you need to dial up before connecting..

what do guys think? plus im not sure what AP or rounter to get, i was looking at APs, D-link 900 AP seems to be good

thanks for the help

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
You may use a PPPOA or PPPOE client to connect to the server side device of your ISP but if your not using an analog phone modem then your not dialing up. You have an aDSL connection from the sounds of it. If your modem has an ethernet interface then just get a AP/Router combo with PPP client functionality. Many will.

graqfreak

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2003
how do i know what AP/router to get (not sure what the PPP thing means)?

if i get one and connect it, does that mean i dnt have to dial up anymore? how many PCs can i connect it with then? i only have one real IP..

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Your not dialing up. Don't know how else to say it to make you understand. Anyway, pretty much any router that advertises itself as a dsl modem will have PPPOE and OA support. I'd think most SOHO routers have it but check the data sheets of any device your not sure about.

When you do get one it does mean you won't have to manually authenticate to the server, what your calling "dialing up". The router will handle this task. You can connect up to 255 PC's on many consumer routers. Some will limit it further but certainly more than you want to put on a 100 dollar router. That's a non issue. If you have more than the limit of a budget router then you need to buy a higher end device anyway. Yeah, only one IP is the point of getting a router in the first place. Another non issue.

graqfreak

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2003
thanks for ur help, so let me get this straight, can i just get a router (e.g. D-LinkAir DI-514 Wireless Router) and connect it to my DSL modem, turn on my PC and do the same thing as before (authenticate the ISP), and it works?

i got 2 pcs and 2 laptops at home, does everyone needs to authenticate before goin on? or can one pc acts as a server to authenticate first, gettin the IP from the ISP, and share it to the rest?

if my assumptions are rite, ill just get the router i mentioned above, however, i went to check the specs at its site, it didnt mention anything about PPPOE or OA...

im using PPPOE to connect i think.. apparently my current lan card has that thing in its properties

once again, really appreciate ur help =)

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
The router would authenticate IF it has the client functionality in it's firmware. Your PC's would not. They would have what would seem like an always on connection. They's just be live to the internet. The router would handle all responsibilities of getting an IP form your provider and connecting with the PPPOE software. Your workstations would have no role in this.

The manual does mention PPPOE so it does support it. YOu'd just have to use the web based interfaced to enter you user/pass combo. Download and search the pdf for PPPOE if you want more information.

TRENDING THREADS