MisWAD corrected in Nightlife, and What Else Do I Want?

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

As most of you probably recall, in the core The Sims 2 and The Sims 2
University, if you placed a house from the Lots and Houses Bin into a
neighborhood (or campus), it would be REMOVED from the Bin, meaning that
for any particular house design, you could only have one in a
neighborhood, unless you went through some contortions to get a copy
into the bin (or set the houses in the Bin to read-only).

Well, EA/Maxis apparently realized that this was Not a Good Thing, and
in Nightlife, if you place a lot in the Lots and Houses Bin, and then
place said lot into a neighborhood/campus/downtown, it will STAY IN THE
BIN, TOO!

Good job! Levittown is now semi-trivial! (What would be REALLY nifty
for budding Levitts would be a utility that would take a lot and reflect
it!)

Still missing, or there but not documented so I haven't found them yet:

* Spiral staircases. Actually, in addition to basic spiral staircases,
I'd like to be able to establish straight staircases with
intermediate landings (which would allow the staircase to turn at
right angles, or to have a staircase that goes up one floor in
either a 2x4 switchback or a 3x3 squarespiral). Also, the landing
squares top and bottom should NOT be squares where a door is
disallowed.

* VARIABLE PITCH ROOFS! I'm sorry, but without being able to make a
hipped or gabled roof flatter than the default, there's a LOT of
perfectly reasonable floor plans that are going to look STUPID in
neighborhood view (or roof-on view), because the damn roof ends up
taller than the ground-to-roofline height of the house. There's
also many examples of houses where the roof over part of the house
is flatter than over the rest of it. N.B. - I've heard there's a
cheat for this; I haven't seen what it is, or how exactly it works.
More info, please?

* Paved slopes. Example: My parents live on a block where the land
slopes down from the street toward the railroad tracks. Their
next-door neighbor built up the land so that it's at street height
all the way back - except that they sharpened the natural slope
where they wanted the driveway so that they could put their garage
under the house. The driveway, therefore, slopes down from the
street pretty sharply. It's a nice house; I'd like to be able to
reproduce it in the game. Can't, though, because I can't do the
sloped driveway.

* Curved/turned driveways. I know plenty of houses where the garage
doors don't face the street; the driveway wraps around to the back
of the house. Also, would allow carriageways - e.g., a
semicircular driveway with the car 'parked' at the apex of the arc,
under an overhang, giving close access to the front door. Most
useful with large lots with expensive houses.

* Instead of fixed-size lots - or maybe in addition to them - how about
a lot-laying mode where I can just drag out a lot of whatever size
and shape I want, with the street along whichever edge is
convenient? If irregular-shaped lots are permitted, coupled with
edge construction (see next paragraph), some really realistic
attached housing could be done - but even without edge
construction, large lots that wrap around smaller lots offer some
interesting possibilities (Estates with former carriage houses
being
separate properties? "Inaccessible" properties with "easements"
for street access?).

* Build to the edge of the lot! Yes, I know that most places don't
allow this in real life; it leads to adjacent lots being considered
'encumbered'. But it would be ideal for downtowns, at least, as you
could then lay out narrow lots - say, 1x2 or 1x3 - and build a row
of brownstones. In neighborhoods, small lots - 2x2, 2x3, and 3x3 -
could also allow edge construction, so that you could build
attached housing.

* Modular construction! The way I envision this, you would build (and
optionally furnish) a 'module' like a normal lot, but after saving
it, it could be placed (anywhere it'd fit) onto another lot as a
single unit, without carrying the actual lot. An example of this
might be a 'standard carport' or 'standard garage' - build a
driveway-and-carport/garage, save as module, and then just place
the entire thing as a unit instead of building it up each time.
Combinations of rooms - a large bedroom with an ensuite bath, for
example - could also benefit from this technique, as could dorm
construction. If the forthcoming Open for Business expansion
allows the business to be something like a hotel, the
room(s)-as-module ability could REALLY speed construction of the
hotel. Also could speed construction of Apartments, if they're
implemented (see next paragraph).

* Another Downtown-appropriate idea - Apartments! Construct like you
would a dorm on a campus, perhaps even using the Myne Door as the
"front door" to each apartment. Once designated as an Apartment
Complex, the same tools in Build Mode are disabled as for a dorm -
but instead of the entire building being a single household, each
apartment is a separate household. Oh - stairs required for
complexes 2-4 floors; elevators for 5+ floors! Which means that
EA/Maxis needs to come up with some elevators!

(Tip - the same one I work into all my posts on housebuilding <g>: If
you figure that each square in build mode is 2.5 feet, and think your
plans out in feet, especially if converting real plans, you'll end up
with houses that are quite reasonable to you AND your Sims. When placing
lots, each square of lot is 10 squares of build, or 25 feet.)
--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitlin@cyburban.com

Archived from groups: alt.binaries.games.thesims,alt.binaries.games.the-sims-2,alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims2,alt.games-the-sims (More info?)

"Jeff Zeitlin" <jzeitlin@cyburban.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> * Another Downtown-appropriate idea - Apartments! Construct like you
> would a dorm on a campus, perhaps even using the Myne Door as the
> "front door" to each apartment. Once designated as an Apartment
> Complex, the same tools in Build Mode are disabled as for a dorm -
> but instead of the entire building being a single household, each
> apartment is a separate household. Oh - stairs required for
> complexes 2-4 floors; elevators for 5+ floors! Which means that
> EA/Maxis needs to come up with some elevators!
>

> (Tip - the same one I work into all my posts on housebuilding <g>: If
> you figure that each square in build mode is 2.5 feet, and think your
> plans out in feet, especially if converting real plans, you'll end up
> with houses that are quite reasonable to you AND your Sims. When placing
> lots, each square of lot is 10 squares of build, or 25 feet.)

I agree with your list but I would like to add the following:

*Pets: It was a great idea then and it's an even greater idea now. One can
breed, raise and perhaps even make money off of pets. We could give cats the
special ability of chasing away vermin and dogs the ability to chase away
burgalrs and what not.

*Elevators: It shouldn't be that hard for the folks at EA Games to create
them. Now the there is a downtown, one can create a department store with
mulitple floors ala Tiffany's (or maybe even Grace Brothers for my fellow
"Are You Being Served?" fans).

* Growing Veggies: Again, another great idea that would work even better in
TS2. Perhaps raising livestock could be added with a few options for the
livestock upon reaching maturity. There could be a "Breed" option to raise
more likestock; "Yield" to get milk/eggs (depending on the livestock your
sim has) and "Take To Market" option to...well, you know! The
"Yieldings/Marketings" could either add food to the family's pantry or cuold
be used to make money off of te livestock. Also have the ability to grow
fruit as well for either eating,selling, or making "nectar".

Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

"Jeff Zeitlin" <jzeitlin@cyburban.com> wrote in message

> Still missing, or there but not documented so I haven't found them yet:
>
> * Spiral staircases. Actually, in addition to basic spiral staircases,
> I'd like to be able to establish straight staircases with
> intermediate landings (which would allow the staircase to turn at
> right angles, or to have a staircase that goes up one floor in
> either a 2x4 switchback or a 3x3 squarespiral). Also, the landing
> squares top and bottom should NOT be squares where a door is
> disallowed.

Well, you can do this already with the building cheats.

> * VARIABLE PITCH ROOFS! I'm sorry, but without being able to make a
> hipped or gabled roof flatter than the default, there's a LOT of
> perfectly reasonable floor plans that are going to look STUPID in
> neighborhood view (or roof-on view), because the damn roof ends up
> taller than the ground-to-roofline height of the house. There's
> also many examples of houses where the roof over part of the house
> is flatter than over the rest of it. N.B. - I've heard there's a
> cheat for this; I haven't seen what it is, or how exactly it works.
> More info, please?

Similarly, there's a new cheat for this - I've forgotten what it is now.
Sorry.

> * Paved slopes. Example: My parents live on a block where the land
> slopes down from the street toward the railroad tracks. Their
> next-door neighbor built up the land so that it's at street height
> all the way back - except that they sharpened the natural slope
> where they wanted the driveway so that they could put their garage
> under the house. The driveway, therefore, slopes down from the
> street pretty sharply. It's a nice house; I'd like to be able to
> reproduce it in the game. Can't, though, because I can't do the
> sloped driveway.

You can do this with a little determination - it's a bit of a fiddle but
doable.

<snip> * Another Downtown-appropriate idea - Apartments! Construct like you
> would a dorm on a campus, perhaps even using the Myne Door as the
> "front door" to each apartment. Once designated as an Apartment
> Complex, the same tools in Build Mode are disabled as for a dorm -
> but instead of the entire building being a single household, each
> apartment is a separate household. Oh - stairs required for
> complexes 2-4 floors; elevators for 5+ floors! Which means that
> EA/Maxis needs to come up with some elevators!

This is a nice idea - you can already do this with hacks from SimLogical but
it would be a nice addition to the game. I'm guessing it would be severely
limited though by the fact that we can only have 8 sims in a family or are
you suggesting the other occupants of the apartments were NPCs like the
students? VERY heavy on memory in that case.

Best wishes
maxon

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>"Jeff Zeitlin" <jzeitlin@cyburban.com> wrote in message

>> Still missing, or there but not documented so I haven't found them yet:

>> * Spiral staircases. Actually, in addition to basic spiral staircases,
>> I'd like to be able to establish straight staircases with
>> intermediate landings (which would allow the staircase to turn at
>> right angles, or to have a staircase that goes up one floor in
>> either a 2x4 switchback or a 3x3 squarespiral). Also, the landing
>> squares top and bottom should NOT be squares where a door is
>> disallowed.

>Well, you can do this already with the building cheats.

Tried it once; ran into some problems - I couldn't extend walls to the
intermediate landings, and there was some floor-related problems, too.
Maybe I missed turning on another cheat; I'll have to look into it
again. But it would be nice - and make lots of sense - if it could be
done without having to resort to cheats. And it's all the cheats and
tweaks and stuff needing to be done every time that led to both the idea
of modular construction (which you trimmed out of this post, having no
comment either way on) and the idea for directly incorporating
intermediate landings.

>> * VARIABLE PITCH ROOFS! I'm sorry, but without being able to make a
>> hipped or gabled roof flatter than the default, there's a LOT of
>> perfectly reasonable floor plans that are going to look STUPID in
>> neighborhood view (or roof-on view), because the damn roof ends up
>> taller than the ground-to-roofline height of the house. There's
>> also many examples of houses where the roof over part of the house
>> is flatter than over the rest of it. N.B. - I've heard there's a
>> cheat for this; I haven't seen what it is, or how exactly it works.
>> More info, please?

>Similarly, there's a new cheat for this - I've forgotten what it is now.
>Sorry.

Yeah. See the N.B. on the item; I thought I'd recalled that there was
one; just couldn't dredge up the important details.

>> * Paved slopes. Example: My parents live on a block where the land
>> slopes down from the street toward the railroad tracks. Their
>> next-door neighbor built up the land so that it's at street height
>> all the way back - except that they sharpened the natural slope
>> where they wanted the driveway so that they could put their garage
>> under the house. The driveway, therefore, slopes down from the
>> street pretty sharply. It's a nice house; I'd like to be able to
>> reproduce it in the game. Can't, though, because I can't do the
>> sloped driveway.

>You can do this with a little determination - it's a bit of a fiddle but
>doable.

Pointers to any additional info I need? And can the new driveways and
driveway extenders be placed on slopes like this?

><snip> * Another Downtown-appropriate idea - Apartments! Construct like you
>> would a dorm on a campus, perhaps even using the Myne Door as the
>> "front door" to each apartment. Once designated as an Apartment
>> Complex, the same tools in Build Mode are disabled as for a dorm -
>> but instead of the entire building being a single household, each
>> apartment is a separate household. Oh - stairs required for
>> complexes 2-4 floors; elevators for 5+ floors! Which means that
>> EA/Maxis needs to come up with some elevators!

>This is a nice idea - you can already do this with hacks from SimLogical but
>it would be a nice addition to the game. I'm guessing it would be severely
>limited though by the fact that we can only have 8 sims in a family or are
>you suggesting the other occupants of the apartments were NPCs like the
>students? VERY heavy on memory in that case.

No, I'm suggesting that, once a lot is designated as an Apartment
Complex, _each_apartment_ (plus common areas as appropriate) is treated
as though it were a _separate_lot_ for the purposes of loading/saving/
playing - in other words, the game wouldn't load all 25 apartments in
the building, just the one with the household you want to play - which,
since you're in a separate "lot", could have the usual max of eight
members. The other apts would be NPCs the same way that other
households in your neighborhood are NPCs.

It was actually reading about the SimLogical hack that gave me the idea;
I felt that extending it to full inclusion in the game - especially
given that EA/Maxis made it possible to actually _live_ downtown - was a
worthwhile idea.

--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitlin@cyburban.com

Jeff Zeitlin wrote in alt.games.the-sims:

> >> * VARIABLE PITCH ROOFS! I'm sorry, but without being able to make
> a >> hipped or gabled roof flatter than the default, there's a
> LOT of >> perfectly reasonable floor plans that are going to
> look STUPID in >> neighborhood view (or roof-on view), because
> the damn roof ends up >> taller than the ground-to-roofline
> height of the house. There's >> also many examples of houses
> where the roof over part of the house >> is flatter than over
> the rest of it. N.B. - I've heard there's a >> cheat for this; I
> haven't seen what it is, or how exactly it works. >> More info,
> please?
>
> > Similarly, there's a new cheat for this - I've forgotten what it is
> > now. Sorry.
>
> Yeah. See the N.B. on the item; I thought I'd recalled that there was
> one; just couldn't dredge up the important details.

It's in the readme for NightLife -- I could check it out for you, but
you might want to look at the other cheats too, so I'll leave it as an
exercise to you... :) Anyway, I've used it, and it works just as
advertised.

(PS sorry about the daft wrapping, don't know what my newsreader is
thinking, it doesn't normally do that).

--
Anna Mazzoldi <http://aynathie.livejournal.com/>

- Mr Gandhi, what do you think of Western civilization?
- I think it would be a good idea.
(Mahatma Gandhi)

Jeff Zeitlin wrote:

> * Spiral staircases. Actually, in addition to basic spiral staircases,
> I'd like to be able to establish straight staircases with
> intermediate landings (which would allow the staircase to turn at
> right angles, or to have a staircase that goes up one floor in
> either a 2x4 switchback or a 3x3 squarespiral). Also, the landing
> squares top and bottom should NOT be squares where a door is
> disallowed.

Every EP, I keep holding my breath that Maxis will figure out
how great this would be and include it...

Laura

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

Maxis is already thinking about elevators, not sure when. Hopefully,
when the business EP comes out. It just makes sense if we have
businesses, they need elevators.

deene

"Jeff Zeitlin" <jzeitlin@cyburban.com> schreef in bericht
> As most of you probably recall, in the core The Sims 2 and The Sims 2
> University, if you placed a house from the Lots and Houses Bin into a
> neighborhood (or campus), it would be REMOVED from the Bin, meaning that
> for any particular house design, you could only have one in a
> neighborhood, unless you went through some contortions to get a copy
> into the bin (or set the houses in the Bin to read-only).
>
> Well, EA/Maxis apparently realized that this was Not a Good Thing, and
> in Nightlife, if you place a lot in the Lots and Houses Bin, and then
> place said lot into a neighborhood/campus/downtown, it will STAY IN THE
> BIN, TOO!
>
> Good job! Levittown is now semi-trivial! (What would be REALLY nifty
> for budding Levitts would be a utility that would take a lot and reflect
> it!)

> Still missing, or there but not documented so I haven't found them yet:
>
> * Spiral staircases. Actually, in addition to basic spiral staircases,
> I'd like to be able to establish straight staircases with
> intermediate landings (which would allow the staircase to turn at
> right angles, or to have a staircase that goes up one floor in
> either a 2x4 switchback or a 3x3 squarespiral). Also, the landing
> squares top and bottom should NOT be squares where a door is
> disallowed.

Oh yes, spiral staircases is a thing I really want.
The straight staircases take up to much space sometimes.

> * VARIABLE PITCH ROOFS! I'm sorry, but without being able to make a
> hipped or gabled roof flatter than the default, there's a LOT of
> perfectly reasonable floor plans that are going to look STUPID in
> neighborhood view (or roof-on view), because the damn roof ends up
> taller than the ground-to-roofline height of the house. There's
> also many examples of houses where the roof over part of the house
> is flatter than over the rest of it. N.B. - I've heard there's a
> cheat for this; I haven't seen what it is, or how exactly it works.
> More info, please?
>
> * Paved slopes. Example: My parents live on a block where the land
> slopes down from the street toward the railroad tracks. Their
> next-door neighbor built up the land so that it's at street height
> all the way back - except that they sharpened the natural slope
> where they wanted the driveway so that they could put their garage
> under the house. The driveway, therefore, slopes down from the
> street pretty sharply. It's a nice house; I'd like to be able to
> reproduce it in the game. Can't, though, because I can't do the
> sloped driveway.

like that too.

> * Curved/turned driveways. I know plenty of houses where the garage
> doors don't face the street; the driveway wraps around to the back
> of the house. Also, would allow carriageways - e.g., a
> semicircular driveway with the car 'parked' at the apex of the arc,
> under an overhang, giving close access to the front door. Most
> useful with large lots with expensive houses.
>
> * Instead of fixed-size lots - or maybe in addition to them - how about
> a lot-laying mode where I can just drag out a lot of whatever size
> and shape I want, with the street along whichever edge is
> convenient? If irregular-shaped lots are permitted, coupled with
> edge construction (see next paragraph), some really realistic
> attached housing could be done - but even without edge
> construction, large lots that wrap around smaller lots offer some
> interesting possibilities (Estates with former carriage houses
> being
> separate properties? "Inaccessible" properties with "easements"
> for street access?).
>
> * Build to the edge of the lot! Yes, I know that most places don't
> allow this in real life; it leads to adjacent lots being considered
> 'encumbered'. But it would be ideal for downtowns, at least, as you
> could then lay out narrow lots - say, 1x2 or 1x3 - and build a row
> of brownstones. In neighborhoods, small lots - 2x2, 2x3, and 3x3 -
> could also allow edge construction, so that you could build
> attached housing.

Yep would like that too.

"Kevin & Freida Livingston" <kevida97@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Jeff Zeitlin" <jzeitlin@cyburban.com> wrote in message

>> Still missing, or there but not documented so I haven't found them yet:

>I agree with your list but I would like to add the following:

>*Pets: It was a great idea then and it's an even greater idea now. One can
>breed, raise and perhaps even make money off of pets. We could give cats the
>special ability of chasing away vermin and dogs the ability to chase away
>burgalrs and what not.

I don't have an objection to this; I doubt I'd actually USE pets myself,
though. I've tended to focus on building rather than play, although I
note where my ideas have significant ramifications for play, as with
apartments.

>*Elevators: It shouldn't be that hard for the folks at EA Games to create
>them. Now the there is a downtown, one can create a department store with
>mulitple floors ala Tiffany's (or maybe even Grace Brothers for my fellow
>"Are You Being Served?" fans).

Indeed. And/or escalators, which seem to me to be more common. Maybe
in TS2:Open for Business?

>* Growing Veggies: Again, another great idea that would work even better in
>TS2. Perhaps raising livestock could be added with a few options for the
>livestock upon reaching maturity. There could be a "Breed" option to raise
>more likestock; "Yield" to get milk/eggs (depending on the livestock your
>sim has) and "Take To Market" option to...well, you know! The
>"Yieldings/Marketings" could either add food to the family's pantry or cuold
>be used to make money off of te livestock. Also have the ability to grow
>fruit as well for either eating,selling, or making "nectar".

Again, this is a play issue rather than a construction issue - but look
for a future expansion to be something like TS2:The Back Forty or
TS2:Farm Life or TS2:Down on the Farm or some such. I seem to recall
either suggestions or rumors to this effect.

--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitlin@cyburban.com