Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GA-MA785G-UD3H what bios??

Last response: in Motherboards
April 9, 2010 12:37:24 AM

i have just bought the gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H motherboard, and have a list of all the parts i want to built an htpc. this is my first build. on the reviews of the mb at newegg, people have mentioned having to put in an am2 cpu then flash the bios and switch out to an am3 cpu. at some point the boards are sent out with the latest bios and you don't need to do that, just pop in the am3 and it is good to go. but how do i know what bios version the board shipped with? newegg no longer has the board, so i bought it somewhere else, no way of knowing if this is up to date that i can see. gigabyte has not answered me. i can see the board revision, but that is the only one, version 1.0, so it does not really mean the bios version, and i see no other mention of how to tell what bios it came with. can i just put in an am3 and flash if needed? or would i really need to put in the am2 or am2+ first? i don't want to buy 2 processors and fans.

More about : ma785g ud3h bios

April 9, 2010 12:51:19 AM

Well the first question is which cpu are you wanting to run in the motherboard.

Second check and see which bios supports your cpu.

Then look at the manufacturing date. If the bios is dated before your manufacture date then you are golden. If not some machines will still boot with unsupported cpu. Try it you should be able to flash the bios before you start installing you os. If you have any questions pm me i'll try to awnser. The best I can.
Related resources
April 9, 2010 3:21:58 AM

but if you go to the list of bios downloads, there is an f1.

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.a...

the way i understand it, the f3 etc are the latest recommended for each cpu as listed, as revisions of the bios change the stepping. i have no idea what the stepping is or what that even means. but there was an f1. i got my board from directron. i have never heard of that site, so for all i know, they got some when they first came out, and maybe they didn't sell many. there are no reviews of the item, so no one has stated they got a newer bios on theirs at this site, unlike newegg, where several mention getting the f3.

but thanks for trying! you're better than gigabyte support so far!
a c 177 V Motherboard
April 9, 2010 3:32:14 AM

Well - that'll teach me to skip a step! [:lorbat:6]

I went directly to the CPU support page, and as I saw no BIOS earlier that F3, I assumed it was the first - didn't take the time to look at the d/l page... Lemme look in the morning - I might have an old AM2 floating around here I could toss in the mail to you - can't remember offhand what it is, but I'm sure I have the (likely disassembled) heatsink/fan too (in fact, more certain about that - I might toss an old CPU, but I never discard an HSF - no matter what I'm 'cobbling up', I'm usually pushing more current through it than is reasonable [:jaydeejohn:3] !)

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2010 3:32:21 AM

That is a fairly recent board, so I think you'd be ok regardless of which processor you choose. They list the recommended BIOS for each chip, but usually the older BIOSes will work well enough for a flash.

That said, a Sempron AM2 is really cheap. I got one for one of my boards and it can't have been more than $20-30. Still sitting around somewhere, probably will never use it again.
April 9, 2010 3:38:58 AM

thanks, that is a clever idea. now, if only gigabyte had been clever enough to put some sort of manufacturing date on the box, or even the board, i would be golden, but i cannot find anything on either. and the box and board are covered with info about the board, but no mention of bios. except that there are 2 of them. the box says all over it that the board is am3 ready. and then it says to see their website for details. but their website is a bit confusing, and lacking any real details that make a whole lot of sense to me. it looks like the bios versions were released pretty rapid fire, one a month. i'd really like to get the am3 that i picked out. i'm not making anything really top of the line, but getting a cpu that is outdated just seems dumb. am2 and am2+ look to be getting phased out. i'm a newbie but i can tell that much. if i have to, i found an am2+ processor, but it is higher wattage than i'd like. my case is wood, and only has one fan, so i want to keep everything as cool as possible. if i could get a super cheap am2 with a fan, i might get it just to flash the bios. i'm afraid of putting in the am3 and destroying my mb or the cpu or whatever would explode.

dang! this is so annoying! such a tiny piece of info causing so much confusion.

leadtrombone said:
Well the first question is which cpu are you wanting to run in the motherboard.

Second check and see which bios supports your cpu.

Then look at the manufacturing date. If the bios is dated before your manufacture date then you are golden. If not some machines will still boot with unsupported cpu. Try it you should be able to flash the bios before you start installing you os. If you have any questions pm me i'll try to awnser. The best I can.

a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2010 3:45:21 AM

What CPU have you picked out? And where did you buy the board? And have you received it yet?
April 9, 2010 5:37:59 AM

got the board from directron.net after a websearch when newegg suddenly went out of stock. after like 3 months of looking at this board. literally, the day before payday they went unavailable. so i panicked and ordered from directron. have the board. looked it and the box over real well. the manual is old, not been updated. rarely mentions am3, though the box says it on every side.

EXT64 said:
What CPU have you picked out? And where did you buy the board? And have you received it yet?

a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2010 12:04:01 PM

F4 2009/09/16

1. Update CPU ID (Support AGESA 3.5.3.1 code / AM3 C3 CPU)

F3 2009/08/12

1. Update CPU ID(AGESA 3.5.3.0 for PhenomII /AthlonII AM3 CPU)

F1 2009/06/22

1. First Release

Considering F4 is 6 months old (and F3 is even older) I'd feel pretty comfortable Assuming that if the CPU selected needs one of those BIOSes (F4 or older), you'll be fine.
April 9, 2010 2:20:16 PM

so... i think i need to redirect my question... if i put in the am3 and try to flash (if it is even needed)... is there any danger of damaging it or the motherboard? or is it just might/might not work? if it is not risky i would just try it that way first, as i don't think there is a clear answer to this without just trying it with either the am2+ and flash first (or just keep it), or to just try out the am3. it seems to me that gigabyte would have faced this question by now, and have a cut&paste reponse.

of course, i could have just gotten one of those little roku players! i should have probably tried that first, but this wood case is just too cool. i sort of work part time with our IT dept, not tech, but beta testing our software and helping to design it. i have to make this happen. i will never hear the end of it.

i was going to get the am3 regor 65 watt. this is really just to play netflix and downloaded video files and other online movies and videos. and music. this board does all i need and has all the ports i need for the case. i got a rosewill psu 650 watt. i have the nmediapc wood case htpc8000. i have the nmediapc rf keyboard and remote combo with rollerballs. i have the little led screen, an hp combo drive, the little post speaker, and this GA-MA785G-UD3H gigabyte board. i have the operating system disk for windows media center (xp). aside from te cpu, i also need to get memory and hard drives, and then the tuner card. i have a 32 in sony tv with vga port and an open hdmi port. it will also be hooked up to my surround sound system, possibly my projector. i will probably get wd caviar black drives, the case will hold 4. i am getting memory they suggest kingston value ram 800 1.8 volt. i would like to use a stock cooler for the psu, as i am having trouble choosing one that i know will fit. the case is weird shaped. aftermarket ones are huge.
a c 177 V Motherboard
April 9, 2010 3:03:47 PM

Well - no luck there - rooted around in the basement, and it looks like I must have tossed the old semperon I had lying about (but, no consolation, as I guessed, still have the HSF! :pt1cable:  )...

As EXT said, they are cheap - and they're good insurance; I used to keep a cheap (~$45) celeron around, just for flashing 775s with a 'known good' processor - gave it to someone recently who needed a really cheap machine built to assist in his job search, as I realized I wouldn't be likely doing any more 775s! An unsupported processor will not damage your board, per se - no chance of shorting anything or 'starting a fire'; the problem lies in getting an 'unsupported' to successfully flash your new BIOS. You always want as stable as possible a situation to do a flash - it always puts the board at (albeit a small) risk... I have gotten very comfortable with GB's dual BIOS setup - I have 'lunched' several flashes, and it has always 'recovered' nicely; were I in your shoes, I'd go the semperon route, however - and, you get an added benefit - should you need, some time in the future to 'sub in' a processor to eliminate bad components in a 'disaster', you'll have a spare!

Oh - and my usual caveat - DON'T use @BIOS [:lectrocrew:7]
April 9, 2010 5:12:51 PM

wow. thanks for looking! i think i will do that. i'll get a cheap am2 or am2+ and flash it (with qflash, since i think people seem to recommend that one as easy for beginners, i have a flash drive already) and then maybe switch to the am3.

bilbat said:
Well - no luck there - rooted around in the basement, and it looks like I must have tossed the old semperon I had lying about (but, no consolation, as I guessed, still have the HSF! :pt1cable:  )...

As EXT said, they are cheap - and they're good insurance; I used to keep a cheap (~$45) celeron around, just for flashing 775s with a 'known good' processor - gave it to someone recently who needed a really cheap machine built to assist in his job search, as I realized I wouldn't be likely doing any more 775s! An unsupported processor will not damage your board, per se - no chance of shorting anything or 'starting a fire'; the problem lies in getting an 'unsupported' to successfully flash your new BIOS. You always want as stable as possible a situation to do a flash - it always puts the board at (albeit a small) risk... I have gotten very comfortable with GB's dual BIOS setup - I have 'lunched' several flashes, and it has always 'recovered' nicely; were I in your shoes, I'd go the semperon route, however - and, you get an added benefit - should you need, some time in the future to 'sub in' a processor to eliminate bad components in a 'disaster', you'll have a spare!

Oh - and my usual caveat - DON'T use @BIOS [:lectrocrew:7]

a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2010 7:50:24 PM

Yeah, unfortunately, I know exactly where my Sempron AM2 is, but that location is 5+ hours away.
October 9, 2010 4:41:40 AM

i have finally built my computer. not quite finished, but it is up and running. i think i have been very lucky. i got the regor am3, and loaded up the operating system, since i was not quick enough to get into the bios. so i loaded xp mce. i have since gone and flashed the bios, as the am3 let me load xp even at the f1 original version. in fact i even loaded up to service pack 3 before i did the flash. with q-flash. i don't have a tuner card yet, but know which one i want, the haupauge dual tuner. i will also get a pci usb card, with an internal port, so i can put the dongles inside the case. my case is big, and having it stick an extra 4 inches from the wall is too much. the wood case is awesome. i went low power as much as i could and the thing never gets hot. it blows cool air out the back. great sound and video. too bad they have discontinued this one. if i do another, i would certainly consider using a similar model.

i want to thank you guys, you've been more help than gigabyte. this is a really good website for people who are new at this.

GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H
AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W
ARCTIC COOLING ACALP64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
nMEDIAPC Red Wood HTPC 8000 ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
nMEDIAPC PRO-LCD Media Center Programmable LCD
Kingston (2) 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Rosewill Libertas Series LIB-650 650W PSU
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA hard drive
HP 1260i DVD CD burner
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005 SP2B for System Builders (@sp3)
nMEDIAPC HTPCKB-S 2.4GHz RF Wireless Mini Keyboard with Track Ball & Remote
32” Sony LCD TV
November 23, 2010 1:51:47 AM

Best answer selected by coeruleo.
a c 135 V Motherboard
November 23, 2010 6:25:40 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
!