My computer is shutting down by itself and doesn't want to restart

Oscanto

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Hello,
First of all, i'm French so... Sorry for my English.
I recently build a computer for the first time, here are the specs :
Motherboard : M5A97 Pro
CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
GPU : MSI R6870 Hawk
Ventirad : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
PSU : Antec HCG 520
Ram : Kit dual channel DDR3 Ripjaws X, 2 x 2Go, PC3-12800, CAS 9, G.Skill
DVD writer : LG GH22NS50
Hard drive : Caviar Blue 500Go
Wireless card : TP-LINK TL-WN951N
All in a Zalman Z9 Plus

The problem is that when I play Crysis, my computer is shutting down after 30 minutes, and doesn't want to restart... I have to unplug the computer and wait 1 or 2 minutes...

Temperatures seem to be good, CPU : 30°C GPU : 38°C and 40°C/46°C playing Burnout Paradise
But my bios says my CPU temp is 44°C

I also tried to launch FurMark test, and 2 sec after the beginning, the computers crashes...
After that, I tried OCCT, CPU stress test seems to be ok, gpu stress test makes the computer crash after 2 or 3 minutes, and PSU stress test makes the computer crash just after the beginning, before the screen appears...

Is my PSU defective ?

It's the first time I build a computer, therefore maybe I have made some mistakes...

Thank you for your help

Antec is a reputable brand like Corsair and Seasonic, but 520 watts may be on the low side. Since the temps look good, I would suspect the PSU.

Is there a higher wattage PSU (650 watts to 750 watts) that you can try to install and check performance?

"... and PSU stress test makes the computer crash just after the beginning, before the screen appears... "

From this, it is the PSU.

When you replace the PSU select Corsair, Antec, or Seasonic and go with 650 to 750 watts.

Oscanto

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Ok, thank you for your help
Do you think this one is enough ?
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjU2MA==

Yes Antec is a reputable brand! It will work fine. Just pick one with a good wattage, 650 to 750 (higher if prices are fine).

Oscanto

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Thank you very much for your answer, i'll take a higher wattage ( maybe the one that cmichael138 shows me ) ...
I really thought that 520W was enough...