No POST on ASUS P5Q Mobo

binomial

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Hy there,

I bought this rig in Oct 2008, and thought that it was going to keep me out of troubles for 5 years or more...........but it has disappointed me very early.........nd at a very wrong time.......the spex r

1.) e7200-2.53 Core 2 Duo......
2.) ASUS p-5q.......
3.) Corsair 800MHZ 1x2GB module.
4.) BFG Tech 512mb 9800GT stock OCed......
5.) Corsair PSU 650TX, asus casing.....

well its been silky smooth since last month..........nd last month i left my family to start my masters in NZ in computing........nd now its giving no POST.......its powering up......but NO POST...........dunno why the hecck it had to do that when i was not there.........cuz i wud have probably sorted it out easily........nd now the my family is trapped nd usin laptops..........cud ne body have a POINT BLANK answer to that........my lil bro told that he frooze while playin a game (a v low end .game i.e. Mobile forces) .........nd after that its not been POSTING............ can ne body exactly point out the problem here....?

Regards,

binomial

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
yeah mosox the problem is that the PC has ran smoothly for almost 1.5 years........its NOT a new one i have assembled!.....I have it since Oct 2008.......and in Mar 2010 it has caused this problem........I havent added ne new hardware to it since Oct 2008............the link u gave me is for newly assembled desktops..........I need an experienced answer.....by that i mean somebody who has experienced this NO POST problem after a year or two........

Regards

The checklist linked to is not just for new systems. It's for troubleshooting "no post" problems regardless of how new or old the system is. In my experience this type of problem is usually caused by a dead/dying stick of RAM. Step #6 in the checklist addresses that. You should try booting the system with each stick of RAM by itself.

scampy_008

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Hi Mate,

First of all is there any power coming in to the mobo, led etc? I assume yes

1)My first suggestion would before anything trying a different graphics card in there or testing your card on someone else system, this will determine if its your card. If its not your card then.....

2) Clear C Mos, as far as im aware on a P5 this is done via a jumper, check the mobos manual to confirm which jumper.

£) The only thing you want connected to your mobo is cpu+fan, 1 stick of ram in slot A1, and your card, nothing else. This always helps.

If after you have checked the card, cleared the cmos(sometimes this needs to be done a couple of times) your basically down to the board or the cpu

Let me know what happens Scamp