Sign in with
Your question

MY LAPTOP CAN NOT BOOT FROM CD/DVD AND CAN NOT DETECT CD/DVD

Last response: in Motherboards
April 9, 2010 8:36:00 AM

I am using compaq presario f700 with OS vista 32 bit. My laptop can not detect any cd/dvd however dvd rw drive is seen on my computer. It also can boot from cd/dvd. I tried to use the solution provided by microsoft ( to delete upper and lowerfilters in the registry key) but the problem is still there.I want to install windows 7 but my laptop can not boot from dvd.
Could you help me please to solve this problem
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2010 9:20:28 AM

Quote:
I want to install windows 7 but my laptop can not boot from dvd.

In BIOS set the first boot device to DVD.
a c 103 V Motherboard
April 10, 2010 1:12:20 AM

ssskuganda said:
I am using compaq presario f700 with OS vista 32 bit. My laptop can not detect any cd/dvd however dvd rw drive is seen on my computer.

Is this an external optical drive? If so, you'll have to see if your BIOS supports booting from USB first.

If you're not using an external and Badge's suggestion doesn't work, you could have a bad drive, or a bad mobo.
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2010 2:14:02 AM

I found your description of your problem confusing; do you have two CD drives in your laptop? If you do then you can set in the BIOS to boot from the other CD drive.
Do both (if you have two) CD drives appear in the BIOS when booting the computer? If not then a common fault is a bad connection to the CD drive, to fix remove the single screw and remove CD drive and then refit. If the CD drive still does not appear in the BIOS then the drive is probably faulty. If the CD drives are seen in the BIOS then the fault is with Windows, the Microsoft fix of deleting the upper and lower filters does not always work if you click the fix now button on their web site, and you may need to do it manually. If you do it manually you must make sure that you have selected the right registry entry as there are several very similar register entries and deleting the filters in the wrong one can either trash your windows instillation or not fix your problem.
!