Sign in with
Your question

Intel DX58SO or Asus P6T

Last response: in Motherboards
April 9, 2010 11:38:08 AM

Hello there,

I have huge problem to decide what kind of motherboard to pick up.

I am building gaming computer for my home based on i7 930 CPU and 1600 RAM.

In my mind I see only 2 possible motherbords it is intel DX58SO or any on the same price level Asus P6t motherboard.

I have been reading in formums that Intel is good but have problems with flexibility of BIOS and have probems with conection layouts. Asus have huge quality problems and driver problems.

Can you please advice what to do.

THanks

More about : intel dx58so asus p6t

a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2010 10:14:29 PM

Not Intel. They make sturdy boards, but I absolutely would NOT use one for a high-performance machine. They tend to have serious compatibility issues with a lot of components that you would normally use in a gaming machine.

As in, say you get some RAM that the board doesn't like at default settings. Normally you would just go into the BIOS and adjust the voltage and timing settings until it was stable ... but with an Intel board, you can't, because adjusting the settings manually will cause it to freak out and crash. The same types of issue make Intel boards horrible for overclocking.

They also have somewhat of a bad reputation for customer service; something goes wrong with the board and they're pretty likely to come up with any excuse to blame it on you so they can say your warranty is void.

I've had several Asus boards and only ever had a problem with one, which I stupidly ignored my own rules on and ordered as an open-box item. I would not worry about quality problems too much with Asus, and that board has been out long enough that they should have addressed most of the driver bugginess by now.
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2010 1:49:56 AM

freely said:
Hello there,

I have huge problem to decide what kind of motherboard to pick up.

I am building gaming computer for my home based on i7 930 CPU and 1600 RAM.

In my mind I see only 2 possible motherbords it is intel DX58SO or any on the same price level Asus P6t motherboard.

I have been reading in formums that Intel is good but have problems with flexibility of BIOS and have probems with conection layouts. Asus have huge quality problems and driver problems.

Can you please advice what to do.

THanks

P6T has good features, the DX58SO is just plain weird right down to the missing memory slots.
April 13, 2010 4:45:06 AM

I'd go for the p6t... i know a friend who owns the board... the board is of good quality and has a better feature set than the Intel board... performance wise both should do similarly.. its just that asus gives better features and overclocking options..
!