Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Trying to figure out what's wrong

Last response: in Systems
October 18, 2009 3:24:07 AM

so I had this mobo and cpu sitting in a static guard bag for about 2 months and my friend was interested in buying it....

I hook it up properly and check all the connections and when i turn on the computer nothing happens with the computer besides all the components powering up and all the fans spinning

I don't hear any post and nothing shows up on the screen

any one have any ideas?

More about : figure wrong

October 18, 2009 4:16:27 AM

jbakerlent said:
Check this thread for starters:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

i've already done pretty much all of that

the speaker jumper is hooked up right and i don't hear anything

this mobo and cpu combo was working before i put it in the static guard bag
Score
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 18, 2009 4:22:28 AM

Nice to know what the board and other hardware is...??? Are you sure you plugged in the other 4 pin power connector ?
Score
October 18, 2009 4:26:27 AM

swifty_morgan said:
Nice to know what the board and other hardware is...??? Are you sure you plugged in the other 4 pin power connector ?

it's an :
Asus P5W-DH Deluxe
core 2 duo E6600
500 watt PSU
4 GB corsair ram
120GB WD Caviar SE
7900GT

and i'm pretty sure i put the 4 pin power connector in
it put it in and it snapped in and i could push it any further

i've also tried this mobo with another psu

Score
a b B Homebuilt system
October 18, 2009 4:53:21 AM

Pull all connections and plug them back in. SATA/Power/etc. Pull the hardware and re-seat. Ram/Video...Use only 1 stick of memory. Move it around if it doesn't work in one slot. Plug the HD in a different SATA connector on the mobo. You didn't say how long it ran for. If it started and shut down could be the processor isn't getting cooled right.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
October 18, 2009 5:49:55 AM

From the few details, it sounds like the 4/8 pin CPU power.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
October 18, 2009 2:03:32 PM

^Agree. Sounds like you either did not plug it in, or you are trying to force the wrong plug into the socket. There is only 1 plug that will work, and it is keyed so it only fits 1 way, and it should simply slide right in and snap into place.
Score
October 21, 2009 6:39:31 AM

swifty_morgan said:
Pull all connections and plug them back in. SATA/Power/etc. Pull the hardware and re-seat. Ram/Video...Use only 1 stick of memory. Move it around if it doesn't work in one slot. Plug the HD in a different SATA connector on the mobo. You didn't say how long it ran for. If it started and shut down could be the processor isn't getting cooled right.

tried all of this nothing shows up on the monitor and no POST beeps
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
October 21, 2009 2:57:03 PM

2real said:
i've already done pretty much all of that

Check back after you've performed EVERY step in the checklist. "Pretty much" doesn't cut it when trying to troubleshoot a booting problem. If you get through every step in the main checklist, don't forget to perform the breadboarding step at the bottom.
Score
October 21, 2009 5:31:24 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
Check back after you've performed EVERY step in the checklist. "Pretty much" doesn't cut it when trying to troubleshoot a booting problem. If you get through every step in the main checklist, don't forget to perform the breadboarding step at the bottom.

1. read the mobo manual: done
2. plugged in the 4 pin connector: done
3. installed the standoffs under the mobo: done
4. video card is fully seated: done
5. attached all power connectors to the video card: done
6. tried booting with just one stick of RAM:D one
7. all memory modules fully inserted: done
8. using the correct ram (this mobo has worked before it's just been sitting in a static guard bag): done
9. remove the plastic guard over the cpu socket (mobo worked before and i never took out the CPU): done
10. thermal paste (already on from before): done
11. CPU fan plugged in (it spins): done
12. stock cooler (again, this mobo worked before): done
13. no wires or screws: done
14. discharge static electricity: done
15. install system speaker: done (checked manual to make sure i had it right)
16. read manual on how to properly connect the front panel plus: done (even removed the reset switch)
17. power supply is turned on (all the components power up): done
18. CPU is supported (this mobo has worked before):D one
19 reset CMOS: done
20. no integrated video

i pulled out everything put the cpu and i still dont' get any form of a POST
Score
October 22, 2009 10:45:50 PM

bump :( 
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
October 22, 2009 11:29:44 PM

Unmount the mobo. Place it on a piece of cardboard next to the case. Hook up the hard drive, PSU, CPU, video card, mobo speaker, power switch, and 1 stick of RAM. Leave everything else unplugged.

Try booting with only these parts.
Score
October 24, 2009 1:26:01 AM

aford10 said:
Unmount the mobo. Place it on a piece of cardboard next to the case. Hook up the hard drive, PSU, CPU, video card, mobo speaker, power switch, and 1 stick of RAM. Leave everything else unplugged.

Try booting with only these parts.

Did this and nothing happened :( 

btw, could a dead battery for the CMOS cause a mobo to not start up?
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
October 24, 2009 1:34:30 AM

BING GO... You found your issue!!

Since your motherboard had been sitting for a few months, so your battery went dead. This normal isn't an issue on new motherboards, so it isn't check as an issue very often. Since your MOBO has been sitting around, it is a very likely the issue. Your motherboard won't work with a dead battery.
Score
September 5, 2010 8:08:46 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!