Question about Sub folders again

Well, I'm still reading about not using sub folders in the downloads
folder. I saw this at varioussimmers. Inge & Carrigon both said not to
use them. I'm getting really confused about this. Guess I need to take
the plunge & go for it and see for myself. ROTFL I made another post
about this, but nobody really answered my question if they were having
success or not. Soooooooo I'm posting again. ;))

Why would Maxis tell us we would be able to have sub folders for
everything?

deene

Well, I've sub-foldered my skins and everything is fine. The objects and
recolours were already in sub-folders, as were the floors, walls and terrain
paints. They're all showing up fine in the game. The only thing I've heard
is that hacks won't now work in a sub-folder - I don't know this for sure
because I've removed my hacks for the time being.

Best wishes
maxon

"deene" <pixelgirl@pickle.net> wrote in message
> Well, I'm still reading about not using sub folders in the downloads
> folder. I saw this at varioussimmers. Inge & Carrigon both said not to
> use them. I'm getting really confused about this. Guess I need to take
> the plunge & go for it and see for myself. ROTFL I made another post
> about this, but nobody really answered my question if they were having
> success or not. Soooooooo I'm posting again. ;))
>
> Why would Maxis tell us we would be able to have sub folders for
> everything?
>
> deene

Thanks Maxon! You mean, you are playing without hacks!?!? LOL I did add
Carrigon's College Helping Hand & it is working fine! I'm going to add a
hack or 2 at a time that I've read from several other people who have
tested.

getting braver......deene

> Well, I've sub-foldered my skins and everything is fine. The objects
> and
> recolours were already in sub-folders, as were the floors, walls and
> terrain
> paints. They're all showing up fine in the game. The only thing I've
> heard
> is that hacks won't now work in a sub-folder - I don't know this for
> sure
> because I've removed my hacks for the time being.
>
> Best wishes
> maxon
>
> "deene" <pixelgirl@pickle.net> wrote in message
>> Well, I'm still reading about not using sub folders in the downloads
>> folder. I saw this at varioussimmers. Inge & Carrigon both said not
>> use them. I'm getting really confused about this. Guess I need to
>> take
>> the plunge & go for it and see for myself. ROTFL I made another post
>> about this, but nobody really answered my question if they were
>> having
>> success or not. Soooooooo I'm posting again. ;))
>>
>> Why would Maxis tell us we would be able to have sub folders for
>> everything?
>>
>> deene

mmm, ye-es I am at the moment. I want some back (the
homeworksometimesfasterfun, nocheering, lesswhiney, noindoorskickybag and
other annoyance deleting hacks) but haven't got around to check if they are
working properly with the new EP.

I suspect it's going to be some time before we know for sure because it's
not always obvious the hack is affecting the game adversely. It may seem to
be working but then you find out something is missing from the game. With
University, hacks that altered the pie menus for the sims wouldn't allow the
college options to appear. We got lots of questions (here and elsewhere)
about why people couldn't send their sims to class and/or final exam. It
happened in my game and I resolved it by removing a hack that changed the
pie menu (the nudist-simple hack which I would like back in my game but it
interferes badly with a number of other hacks). The point being, I suppose,
that hacks might appear to be working properly and don't cause the game to
crash (Sims 2 is far more stable than Sims 1 ever was) but they might well
be masking gameplay options and preventing game events. As none of us have
played Nightlife before, of course, we don't know what should be there and
what shouldn't. In some ways, it would be better if it did make the game
crash because then at least you would know something is wrong - what am I
saying? For heavens sake.

Anyway, I'm going to leave off the hacks for a bit until things settle down.
It actually might be some time before I do this because term is starting, a
new academic year, and I have a lot of work to do - apparently. Damn it.
It would seem it's time to get serious and think about my career and
actually (whisper it) write up my work. Eek.

> Thanks Maxon! You mean, you are playing without hacks!?!? LOL I did add
> Carrigon's College Helping Hand & it is working fine! I'm going to add a
> hack or 2 at a time that I've read from several other people who have
> tested.
>
> getting braver......deene

MM, you don't need that no cheering one. The kids I've played so far
just come home, place their homework on the floor and go about their
business. I read where Maxis did something to correct that awful
cheering all the time. It was so surprising the first time I saw it.
What a relief.

deene

I just read from Maxoid Tom that sub folders for everything should work,
even hacks. Oh joy!!!

deene

Yes, I've yet to check on what they've fixed for the new EP. I did hear
there were some alterations of annoyances. Another one is all those
electronics wants and then teenagers constantly thinking of going to
university. It can be quite hard to keep sims aspirations up at times.

> MM, you don't need that no cheering one. The kids I've played so far
> just come home, place their homework on the floor and go about their
> business. I read where Maxis did something to correct that awful
> cheering all the time. It was so surprising the first time I saw it.
> What a relief.
>
> deene

I put the Multi-Painting back in and it also lets you change turnons and
offs. Neat.

Maxon wrote in alt.games.the-sims:

> Yes, I've yet to check on what they've fixed for the new EP. I did
> hear there were some alterations of annoyances.

Yes -- and note also that a patch is due out Real Soon Now, there's a
guy from Maxis on one of the moreawsomethanyou boards discussing this
and it sounds like a question of days before the patch is out (actually
two patches, one for nightlife and one for hmmm... either the base game
or Uni, can't remember now.)

--
Anna Mazzoldi <http://aynathie.livejournal.com/>

"Why did the chicken cross the road?"
Machiavelli: "So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as
a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the
road, but also with fear, for who among them has the strength
to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner
is the princely chicken's dominion maintained."

"Anna Mazzoldi" <AnnaUsenet@iol.ie> wrote in message
> Maxon wrote in alt.games.the-sims:
>
> > Yes, I've yet to check on what they've fixed for the new EP. I did
> > hear there were some alterations of annoyances.
>
> Yes -- and note also that a patch is due out Real Soon Now, there's a
> guy from Maxis on one of the moreawsomethanyou boards discussing this
> and it sounds like a question of days before the patch is out (actually
> two patches, one for nightlife and one for hmmm... either the base game
> or Uni, can't remember now.)

It's for Uni if you don't have Nightlife.

Best wishes
maxon