No Video on Dell Inspiron 4150 - Boots only with external ..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 7, 2004 8:35:12 AM

I have (2) Dell Inspiron laptops (a 4100 and a 4150) that are experiencing
the same issue. The systems boot only when attached to an external monitor.
When the external monitor is removed it powers up, the LCD flashes briefly
and then it shuts down. Would a failed inverter cause this issue?
Thanks in advance.
June 8, 2004 7:37:08 AM

After a little experimenting I was able to trick the laptop into activating
the LCD. I power on the laptop with an external monitor attached. When the
POST screen disappears I detach the monitor. The laptop continues to boot
and then I see the Windows XP startup screen on the LCD. I have no idea why
this works and I have used the same technique on the Inspiron 4100. I wonder
why the POST is preventing the system from using the LCD? I can also do the
same with the built-in diagnostics that you can get to via the F12 key. I
start the diagnostics on the external monitor and then unplug it before it
gets the video tests. When it finally gets to the video tests the LCD screen
comes to life. I am wondering if I should flash the BIOS to an older version
or something. I don't know what else to try.

-Jack

"Jack" <jack_nyc_2k@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have (2) Dell Inspiron laptops (a 4100 and a 4150) that are experiencing
> the same issue. The systems boot only when attached to an external
monitor.
> When the external monitor is removed it powers up, the LCD flashes briefly
> and then it shuts down. Would a failed inverter cause this issue?
> Thanks in advance.

March 10, 2009 1:02:55 AM

I am having the exact same problem with my Acer Travelmate 8204. Will only boot with a second monitor and then everything is fine. Just replaced the notebook screen but did not change anything. Only way I can get the computer to boot without second monitor is to change the Ram then it will boot once then fails on the next boot until I change the Ram chips again,

!