Looking to upgrade AMD Phenom x3 8750

bowhunterOH

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Hello. I currently have an AMD Phenom x3 8750 (2.4GHz) I want to upgrade to a better CPU but I want to stay within a $100 budget. I have been looking at the AMD Athlon II x4 620/630 and the Phenom II x2 550. I am just looking to see what else is out there for around $100 that would be better than my current CPU. If you have suggestions, please give them to me. Thanks!

bowhunterOH

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Ok, well I dug the box out and its a ASRock N68-S. I know its nothing special but it works for me. Oh and it only does support CPU's up to 95W but in my price range I shouldnt be going above that. Thanks!

welshmousepk

Distinguished
what are you using it for?

gaming? go with the 550, higher clock and L3 cache make it a better performer in most games.

but for other tasks, 4 cores is better. so go with the 620.

as warmon said, your mobo needs to be compatible. but i dint think there are many, if any, mobos that accept phenom's but not phenom IIs

Well there are some motherboard the accept phenom I but no II's. What i was looking into was making sure that the cpu the op was looking into would work. I know some board that have accepted some Phenom IIs but not all. If the op wanted a phenom II x4 955, he cant with his MB.

To OP,

Yes both cpu's your looking into will work on your motherboard.

As welsh said, depending on what your doing go with what cpu best fits your need. (just be sure to update bios before the changing the cpu!)

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=N68-S