Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Advice on DDR2 RAM and Phenom CPU

Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2010 11:36:00 PM

A few more questions for the experts here... :
What do you guys think about DDR2 VS DDR3?
I was originally determined to only buy a new PC with DDR3 supported and installed? But I impulse-bought this Gateway (still haven’t opened box yet)... It is the DX4300-03. 8 gigs DDR2.
PS ... also about the 2.4 Phenom. Underinformed Salefolk told me it was 2.6 which I already thought was a little weak. Any opinions on 2.4? Keep in mind that I don't really game, but DO run MANY programs simultaneously?
Thanks Again For Input !

a b à CPUs
January 3, 2010 11:58:29 PM

Well scene the affordable ddr3 ram cas latency is very high (average 8 or 9), DDR2 and drr 3 will feel the same. so i say the feeling of ddr2 and 3 is moot.

DDR2 800MHz with cas 4 and ddr3 1600 MHz with cas 8 will feel like there running the same speed. (Lower cas latency is better)

As for the phenom running at 2.4 GHz, If your not running any cpu intensive task then i would worry to much. Although what Phenom do you have?

Phenom X3
Phenom x4
Phenom II x2
Phenom II x3
Phenom II x4
m
l
January 4, 2010 12:32:32 AM

Phenom X4 ... I know ... it's not lookin good from what I've read. Looks like maybe the Phenom II X4 would be a way better CPU. I am having my doubts about this PC and thinking I should not open box and maybe just return it. If they would have let me get online for 20 minutes at Fry's before I bought is -I probably would not have.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2010 6:30:48 AM

Yeah if you can go for a Phenom II X4. The old Phenoms are junk compared to the new ones.
m
l
January 4, 2010 7:46:10 AM

I wouldn't say that the Phenom I's were junk but the Phenom II's are a better chip and clock a lot higher and run cooler.
I have both at present, A Phenom 9750 2.4Ghz @ 2.6GHz and a Phenom II 955BE 3.2GHz @ 3.7GHz and as far as I can see the performance increase is fairly linear with the increase in clock speed. Both systems provide excellent performance for general use but the PII is obviously better for intensive tasks and gaming.

If you can return the PC and swap for a PII sytem for a reasonable cost then I would say to do it.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
January 4, 2010 12:05:04 PM

Sounds to me like you made an impulse buy that you apparently are having second thoughts about now. You will never feel good about your purchase, even though the PC is fine for your needs. So if I were you, might as well take it back, and get what you want. That is what I would do.
January 4, 2010 4:07:37 PM

Thanks guys. I was thinking along similar lines. I'm running out of available time - and so will have to make a choice. Thank you for the advice.
m
l
January 4, 2010 6:21:59 PM

any reason you arent building one?
m
l
January 4, 2010 6:38:58 PM

Looks like it might be this http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668282.php

When buying a new Phenom computer or CPU, you really should opt for a PhenomII as it's better and only costs about the same (the most expensive AMD desktop CPU is only about $200, so on the price of a whole machine it doesn't have too much impact on the total cost).

Also it you plan to play games the graphics card it a little weak.
m
l
January 4, 2010 6:57:40 PM

Thanks again everyone. I now know a lot more than I did at purchase. I should have done more homework. I want to/should be building my own -but it will have to wait till I am out of school (not enough $$ or time right now). I ended up with a Gateway DX4300-03 w/Phenom X4 9750 & Win7. But if I just stick with it - it will only cost me $315. I think it will hold me over for now & technology is increasing so fast that in a few more years if I can build my own it will have far superior features.
Wish I had more time but school is the hold back right now.
m
l
January 5, 2010 4:53:41 AM

Devastator_uk said:
Looks like it might be this http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668282.php

When buying a new Phenom computer or CPU, you really should opt for a PhenomII as it's better and only costs about the same (the most expensive AMD desktop CPU is only about $200, so on the price of a whole machine it doesn't have too much impact on the total cost).

Also it you plan to play games the graphics card it a little weak.

what ^ he said
m
l
!