Recommendation? (Memory / Graphics Card)

JTeagle

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hi folks. I'm looking to put together a new PC for Windows 7. I'm almost certainly going to buy the mobo bundle here: http://www.puterz.co.uk/amd2ddr3bundle.html (GA-MA785GT-UD3H). My current mobo came from there and has been solid as a rock. But I want to get more memory this time (6 or 8 Gb instead of the default 2), and although I'm not a hardcore gamer, I do like a mid to high range gfx card (no need for CrossFire).

Anyone care to suggest a gfx card and what memory modules I should get? I'd really like 4 Gb modules instead of 2 Gb (for future adding) but they're a bit pricey.

Get 4G of RAM, that's enough you have an option to add 2G more on that page. You can add later if you want but you won't need it.

You can get ATI HD 5750 or 5770, great performance for price.

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

You aren't a hardcore gamer, so, with 4GB (2x2GB) 1333 is enough for now. Try to get some RAM with CL8 or less and 1.65V max. Do you know another site to shop online in your country? because that site don't have good options.

Now, for the GPU nVidia isn't the best option today. Like you don't need a killer GPU, go for a 5770.

JTeagle

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010

One of the reasons I wanted to go for bigger memory was so that I could run virtual machines - Ubuntu at the very least. I'm a programmer, so having the ability to test code on non-Windows platforms is a big plus for me. But no rush, so 2x2 is probably OK to start with. At least this time the mobo can take more; the current board simply won't take any more.

There are quite a few places to get memory from in the UK. Any particular brands I should favour? OCZ? Kingston? Crucial? Corsair?

Also, do I *have* to get unbuffered, non-ECC or can I get the other types? The mobo manual online doesn't really make it clear and it's one of the hardware areas where I'm really not sure. I don't want to buy ECC for example, and find it won't take it. They have a compatibility list so I have quite a bit of choice on brands and modules, but they don't say even then whether it's unbuffered or non-ECC. I tried hunting for the OCZ part numbers listed but they're already discontinued.

Ok, for virtual machines go for 8GB (2x4GB or 4x2GB), or 6GB BUT if you go for 6GB, you need buy it in this configuration 4GB(2x2GB) + 2GB(2x1GB). Why?, because AMD and AMD mobos only support dual-channel, and the 6GB kits comes in 3x2GB configuration, that's for tri-channel (Intel chipset x58 and i7-9xx series).

For brands, you can go in this order: Corsair, Crucial, G.Skill Ripjaws, OCZ, Kingston.

Th unduffered an non-ECC is for desktops like yours. The buffered and ECC is for servers and heavy work stations.

JTeagle

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010

Fantastic, thanks for the info.