Ac2003 post code 8.6

tombo946

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hi All,

I have an Abit AX8 mobo that has a hiccup whilst starting up. The clock stops at 8.6. and the mobo switches off. It happens several times and then the mobo goes past POST and computer starts. This is a s/h board bought as a spare, so can be messed around with. I've only installed one stick of ram known to be working fine and a cpu (athlon 64- 3700+) PCI express card is ASUS - also known to be working. Any thoughts?

Regards Tom

Thadius856

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Sounds like a bad board. I had a fault PSU that would cause my systems to hang right after POST 90% of the time, but that was at least 10 years ago. If you have a spare PSU, give it a whirl, though it's a long shot.

tombo946

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010

Thank's for your interest. the psu is fine and I'm looking for software solutions - perhaps reprogramming the bios - it is not the latest.

tombo946

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I think I've found the problem - mguru shows CPU temp. very high - rising to 130' C. This is an error. But I can't change values and save in Cmos to make it stop. The board doesn't run for long enough to re-program the BIOS, although that may not solve it as there maybe a component that triggers the faulty reading. I've tried re-setting mguru to default values - so far without success... any further thoughts? apart from binning the board?