Sign in with
Your question

Usb 2.0 to (IDE) CABLE does not work properly

Last response: in Storage
August 31, 2011 11:33:55 AM

Hello,
Read questions re: usb 2.0 sata ide cable does not work properly. for xp-sp3.

cable worked fine 1st time.followed intstructions.windows showed (1st harddrive)OK. tried other hrdvs..nothing,thing tried 1st hard drive again. Nothing????
a c 315 G Storage
August 31, 2011 8:20:43 PM

A few questions. First, what model of "cable" is it? Can you provide a link? There are good ones and shabby ones and ones that will probably destroy your hard drive.

Second, does it have a plug-into-the-wall power supply? IDE drives generally won't get enough power from USB. I used to have a device from a reputable manufacturer that worked on IDE power sometimes and required the wall power other times. For safety's sake, I always used wall power.

Third, are the drives known to be good? Were they running in any machine with an IDE controller on the motherboard, or have they been sitting in a drawer for five years collecting moisture and mold?
m
l
September 13, 2011 1:54:43 AM

WyomingKnott said:
A few questions. First, what model of "cable" is it? Can you provide a link? There are good ones and shabby ones and ones that will probably destroy your hard drive.

Second, does it have a plug-into-the-wall power supply? IDE drives generally won't get enough power from USB. I used to have a device from a reputable manufacturer that worked on IDE power sometimes and required the wall power other times. For safety's sake, I always used wall power.

Third, are the drives known to be good? Were they running in any machine with an IDE controller on the motherboard, or have they been sitting in a drawer for five years collecting moisture and mold?

(1) using ROHS SHUN XUN CABLE attached to usb 2.0 to SATA/IDE device.

(2)yes, separate Plug-into-the-wall power supply that connects to (hardrives,CD ROM etc) interface. at end this cabling.

10-15 Hardrives boxed and stored between 1-10 yrs replace for larger capacity storage on systems. working fine just saved to take data off at later Date (now!) no internal damages (bad sectors,etc)

using o/s xp newly built system (3mths) works excellent.
also tried UVCView.x86.exe (USB Device viewer) doesnt show attached drives. the original problem for the USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE cable device.
m
l
!