Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ati & physx problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 28, 2009 11:51:02 PM

I pretty much a noob to these forums, so please forgive me if im posting in the wrong area!??

Following the topics in Toms Hardware on using Nvidia cards with Ati, so i could use the Physx api i went and bought a 9500GT to sit in for the task alongside my HD4890 for rendering.
Everything runs great, nice new flashy effects, everything working brilliantly after the GenL patch was activated, untill i stopped using my 360 joypad and went to keyboard and mouse, (there are just some games i CANT play wiith a pad!)
The problem im having is this, when moving round the game area, the screen drops to the desktop, and the game runs in the background.
I know its more than likely because ive moved onto the extended desktop, that it drops, but it frustrating having to get back into the game, sometimes by having to reload!
Could someone tell me how to keep this from happening please. Its probably some thing simple like keeping the cursor locked to one desktop in certain apps, but for the life of me, i havent the foggiest how to do that!

Please help someone, things like this mke my hair go grey at an alarming rate! :fou: 

More about : ati physx problems

a c 173 U Graphics card
October 29, 2009 12:05:42 AM

Use a older forceware like 185.1 or something like that since nvidia did some naughty crap with the newer drivers when there is a ati card installed with the nvidia.
a c 272 U Graphics card
October 29, 2009 7:36:05 AM

nforce4max said:
Use a older forceware like 185.1 or something like that since nvidia did some naughty crap with the newer drivers when there is a ati card installed with the nvidia.

There is nothing naughty about making software proprietary, damned inconvenient if you have an ATi card perhaps but not naughty or illegal.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2009 7:58:20 AM

A DirectX application running in Fullscreen on Windows will always drop the fullscreen if you move the focus to another program. Try running the game in window mode.
October 29, 2009 8:01:08 AM

Mousemonkey said:
There is nothing naughty about making software proprietary, damned inconvenient if you have an ATi card perhaps but not naughty or illegal.


I would agree with you if someone was trying to make PhysX work on an AMD/ATI GPU, this is not the case. Nvidia's software wont work on Nvidia hardware like its meant to do when AMD/ATI GPUs are present.
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2009 8:04:09 AM

MiamiU said:
I would agree with you if someone was trying to make PhysX work on an AMD/ATI GPU, this is not the case. Nvidia's software wont work on Nvidia hardware like its meant to do when AMD/ATI GPUs are present.


The problem are not the cards or their drivers. Read my above post.
a c 272 U Graphics card
October 29, 2009 8:19:23 AM

MiamiU said:
I would agree with you if someone was trying to make PhysX work on an AMD/ATI GPU, this is not the case. Nvidia's software wont work on Nvidia hardware like its meant to do when AMD/ATI GPUs are present.

Yes, because you should be using the GPU of the software's owner to make one of their cards act as a PPU.
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2009 8:22:09 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Yes, because you should be using the GPU of the software's owner to make one of their cards act as a PPU.


Come on guys you are getting off-topic.
a c 272 U Graphics card
October 29, 2009 8:31:33 AM

hallowed_dragon said:
Come on guys you are getting off-topic.

Yes and no, the easiest way to get PhysX to run is to use an Nvidia card for the main graphics and then another Nvidia card for the PhysX that way you will benefit from driver updates and not have to resort to hacks that just cause problems.
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2009 8:36:13 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Yes and no, the easiest way to get PhysX to run is to use an Nvidia card for the main graphics and then another Nvidia card for the PhysX that way you will benefit from driver updates and not have to resort to hacks that just cause problems.


That has absolutely nothing to do with the problem the OP mentioned. It is not a nVidia physics + ATI driver problem, it is not about the green hating the red, it is about any DirectX application behavior when the focus is changed from it. It will always minimize and run in the background, unless the application is in window mode.
a c 272 U Graphics card
October 29, 2009 8:43:40 AM

So what's this GenL patch and why is he running on an extended desktop?
a c 130 U Graphics card
October 29, 2009 8:45:01 AM

Mousemonkey said:
There is nothing naughty about making software proprietary, damned inconvenient if you have an ATi card perhaps but not naughty or illegal.



What like if MS made it so that Windows wouldnt work with any other browser other than IE you mean ? Give it a rest. They just got thumped in the EU for having at as the default browser, never mind making windows not work if say Firefox was present. I recon if AMD wanted to they could get a result in court over this same differance as far as i can see. Its a specifically targeted anti compedative move.

Anyway back to the OP, I do agree with mousemonkey that the only way at present to do it properly is by using teh correct supporting software. Even if i dont agree with whats going on. I really liked the Batman game but have made a desision not to buy it because of this. As far as your issue sorry i have no idea as i run ATI only and dont really see Physix as worth the hastle.

Mactronix
October 29, 2009 4:54:51 PM

Why is a mod getting involved in a flame war, in a thread about something else?
a c 130 U Graphics card
October 29, 2009 5:13:34 PM

1ce said:
Why is a mod getting involved in a flame war, in a thread about something else?



Why is that anything to do with you ? I dont see aflame war anyway i see a discussion. I also dont see a Mod i see the Forum member mousemonkey. Sure there is the Mod hat there that can be put on, if and when needed but in my experiance these boards are pretty good. the Mods are not all on a power trip and will discuss argue along with the rest of us. Of course most of the time you will find they are right (even when they are not) [:mousemonkey:5] That bit was a joke by the way ....
Anyway its a good place to be. Anyone with the word Mod under there picture is usually only a Mod when the rules get broken

Mactronix :) 
October 29, 2009 5:19:57 PM

i only asked a simple question, guess im outta luck to getting an answer that'll help me.
shame really, i guess when im using mouse and keyboard, ill just have to dissable the nvidia card!
a c 272 U Graphics card
October 29, 2009 7:09:17 PM

xupaguy said:
i only asked a simple question, guess im outta luck to getting an answer that'll help me.
shame really, i guess when im using mouse and keyboard, ill just have to dissable the nvidia card!

So what's this GenL patch and why are you running on an extended desktop?
October 29, 2009 7:15:37 PM

The GenL patch allows the use of the new nvidia drivers to be used while Ati products are presant. the only way i can get them to work is to force and extended desktop, seeing as i dont have another monitor to plug straight into the nvidia card!
a c 272 U Graphics card
October 29, 2009 7:22:57 PM

1ce said:
Why is a mod getting involved in a flame war, in a thread about something else?

Where's the flame war? the OP has an issue with PhysX and an ATi graphic card and unless you have been living under a rock for the last three months you would know that Nv disabled the use of PhysX if a non Nv GPU was detected in the system. So is the OP using hacked drivers which might be causing the problem? or is it because to get the cards to work together two monitors have to be used as one forum member, Jedimasterben IIRC, indicated?
a c 272 U Graphics card
October 29, 2009 7:24:37 PM

xupaguy said:
The GenL patch allows the use of the new nvidia drivers to be used while Ati products are presant. the only way i can get them to work is to force and extended desktop, seeing as i dont have another monitor to plug straight into the nvidia card!

That there may be the problem cause, hacked drivers and only one monitor.
!