One day and suddenly No Post - what gives?

zertomshardware

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hello all,

This is a fine internet community. I've been reading Tom's Hardware reviews for as long as I can remember. I like how your articles are laid out with easy to understand (at least for me, and I am a little smarter than most other people I know) facts and graphs. When I want to put together a new computer, I usually come here first to see how you guys rated the parts I want to buy.

There's just something about PCB boards that I find beautiful. Maybe it's the myriad of little things that all work together to deliver the video gaming stimulation I need. Lately, companies have been pushing the edge of "beauty of a board" (boab) and it's really nice to see they're making them much more colorful, making them neon blue or green or red, with oranges and the copper piping. I love the colors! That's just how I feel about them.

Anyway, my problem is that my computer seems to be having issues now booting up. I was using it just last night, no problem. I shut it down and when I went to boot it up this morning, all that it showed was the very first line of the POST (which I guess is the line that shows the motherboard model and BIOS version; mine is GA-MA790X-UD4P F7) and it just hangs there. It doesn't respond to CTRL-ALT-DEL, it doesn't make a sound at all.

So completely let down, having just bought this computer a short time ago and feeling that I might have to hook my old one and that means to swap out my hard drives and DVD rom and other things, etc... and while I'm sitting there feeling sorry for myself for about 5 minutes, it pops up "4gigs of ram 800mhz DDR2 Unganged Mode" and continues with the boot.

So then I'm thinking, "Ok great, I must have faulty ram." While I use my computer, I'm expecting the thing to crash. I open Task Manager to see how much ram I have available. It shows me all 4GB of Patriot Viper II are functioning. Ok(?) Then I think it might be my AMD Athlon II X2 250. I run it through a gamut of tests, multi-threading, opening several browsers and checking to see if it'll crash under load... Nope. Then I check the hard drives and motherboard. Nothing. Nothing at all.

That's when I came here. I found the "Really long sticky on Gigabyte Motherboards" and I read through it and towards the end it mentions something about "Boot Up sequences". The author talked about repeating boot sequences; I think the one that really jumped out at me was the one about, "Optimize settings / Fail-safe settings", and I was thinking; maybe this is the problem. I must have it on Fail-safe settings that's why it's taking so long to boot up.

So I'm going to reboot and see what happens if I switch to optimized settings and see if this corrects my problem.

Any thoughts before I try it though? It might be a while before I come back (that's if things go from bad to worse).

Actually it is quite possible that the BIOS needs to be adjusted. The recommendation is to follow the manufacturers recommendations for RAM, that is, set your BIOS to the speed, latency, and voltage of your RAM.

Also, make note that just because Windows recognizes the total density of your RAM, that doesn't mean that nothing is wrong. As I said, set your RAM specs in your BIOS then run MemTest86+ (download the iso from memtest.org).

Let the test run overnight. Should any errors be found, MemTest will automatically stop. Any errors found means bad RAM.