Sign in with
Your question

Possible wiring of 4 pin fan/heatsink to Dell (proprietary 5 pin) motherboard po

Last response: in Overclocking
February 6, 2012 2:51:10 PM

Hi there, I have an older Dell Dimension 8400 3ghz Pentium 4 desktop. As with many youtube videos I have seen, the fan makes an unbearable amount of noise 75% of the time. However, the heatsink pipes and fins are cold when this is happening which suggests to me that there is no problem with overheating.

So far I have replaced the heatsink paste (with no resultant change) and I have now purchased an Arctic Freezer Xtreme Rev 2, which I thought would reduce the noise even if the fan is going for it.

However I made sure of the socket size (775) before purchase but I didn't think about the connection to the motherboard. I now face the problem of the 4 pin fan not being compatible with the 5 pin motherboard port.

I was thinking about cutting the connector off the Arctic and wiring the 4 Arctic wires to the connector of the old fan. Is this possible in terms of wire purposes and voltages etc, if so how do the wires match up?

The Arctic wires are black/red/yellow/blue
The dell Blue/Black/Red/White

Many thanks
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 3:50:10 PM

callumfletcher said:
Hi there, I have an older Dell Dimension 8400 3ghz Pentium 4 desktop. As with many youtube videos I have seen, the fan makes an unbearable amount of noise 75% of the time. However, the heatsink pipes and fins are cold when this is happening which suggests to me that there is no problem with overheating.

So far I have replaced the heatsink paste (with no resultant change) and I have now purchased an Arctic Freezer Xtreme Rev 2, which I thought would reduce the noise even if the fan is going for it.

However I made sure of the socket size (775) before purchase but I didn't think about the connection to the motherboard. I now face the problem of the 4 pin fan not being compatible with the 5 pin motherboard port.

I was thinking about cutting the connector off the Arctic and wiring the 4 Arctic wires to the connector of the old fan. Is this possible in terms of wire purposes and voltages etc, if so how do the wires match up?

The Arctic wires are black/red/yellow/blue
The dell Blue/Black/Red/White

Many thanks

Making sure of the socket is good thing, problem is, the D8400 uses a plastic heatsink retention bracket that doesn't use the Intel socket 775 heatsink hole pattern.

Even with modification, I don't think the AFXR2 would fit.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2012 4:02:11 PM

You definitely CAN NOT use a standard 775 heatsink/fan on these systems. Been there, done that, got a headache trying to make it work.
m
l
February 8, 2012 11:00:54 AM

Thanks very much for the reply, and fair enough PLAN FAIL! So basically I am limited to Dell products then? The fan is fully active and clean and as far as I am aware its not the problem. With reference to the link from COLGeek, this looks exactly like the fan already in place (which I presume would be very noisy too) so I'm not sure if that would solve the problem.

Basically I think the problem is within whatever controls the fan, ie a thermostat or something (where it thinks its hotter than it is, making the fan work at full speed more often than not). My plan was to really not solve the problem but quieten the problem if that makes sense. However, it seems there are not really any quietly designed fans by Dell unless I am wrong???

If not, is there any way (software) that I can see what the cpu temperature is and/or change the fan speed threshold so that the fan only goes fast when the cpu is overheating (or starting to overheat)?

I can't find any settings in the BIOS

thanks again

Callum
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2012 9:07:51 PM

Fans tend to wear out and generate more noise with age. A newer, less used fan should be quieter. Also, ensure that the heatsink is clean, along with the rest of your system as well. Less heat due to air restrictions and dirt/dust build-up (including blowing out the PSU) will help your rig run cooler and quieter.
m
l
!