PSU contributing to video card noise

I built my current PC back in Jan 09 with these specs:

i7 920
G.Skill 6GB DDR3 1600MHZ
Asus P6T Deluxe
EVGA GTX 260 216 55nm
Silverstone ST70F 700w

I noticed the PSU made a clicking noise, so I RMA'd it and got another one back. Prior to this, my PC was almost silent at ilde, all I could hear was the faint hum of the case fans. Now, with the exact same specs, my GTX 260 is the most audible, mostly air noise. I havent not done any other changes, except flash my BIOS. My GTX 260 is at 40%, but it is no where as near as quiet as it was before I changed out my PSU. Thinking it was my 260 fault, I RMA'd it twice, but that hasent changed anything. Is it possible that a PSU can have a effect on the noise charachteristic of my 260? I don't have a PSU to swap out and try, but I may buy one to test if it just this specific PSU causing this.
5 answers Last reply
More about contributing video card noise
  1. Check your hardware monitor settings. Set your fan speed for around 2500 rpm. The noise you hear may be your cpu fan.
  2. The source of the noise is definately the video card. I stopped all the case fans and CPU cooler to make sure.
  3. Blown the dust out recently ?
  4. make sure that the pciexpress power connector(s) are firmly in place and if you use molex adapters for the graphics card make sure they're properly attached!
  5. The cables are definately attached firmly, and right when I got the RMA card from Evga I uses compressed air on it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Gtx Graphics Cards Components