Vcore on i72600k @ 4.6Ghz

MaxY1234

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forums and am having trouble when I overclock my CPU to 4.6ghz.

My build is :

Coolermaster 212 evo
i7 2600k
2 4gb corsair vengeance RAM
750W PSU
Asus p8z68 -v lx mobo

I get around 1.4 vcore when I run stress test with CPU clocked at 4.6 ghz when I read that usually it should not exceed 1.35. I am also having difficulty with the offsets for the CPU voltage so right now it's on auto. Also my board does not have the section with DIGI + vrm and the only available options for LLC are auto/enabled/disabled.

Any help is appreciated thanks!

Solution
Enable llc, set clock to 4.5 set offset to - 0.01. Load to win and open real temp. In the top right corner there is a button. Push it couple times to get to vid reading. Your vcore should be vid minus 0.01. Try torture testing with small fft for 15-25 min. See what ur temps at and monitor ur vcore with aida or hwmonitor. If it passes .... All good. If Prime gives errors bring ur offset to - 0.05. Try lowering ur offset a bit more to -0.02. Repeat. See which is the lowest setting u can load with and pass test. Record ur vid for lowest setting. Now go back to bios and change multi to 4.6. It might be ur chip. Mine is stable at 1.335 and 4.7. But takes quiet more vcore to get stable at 4.8.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Try disabled for LLC, then try enabled, you should get a more solid Vcore with it disabled and let you find a general voltage you need for your overclock, once you find it you can play more with finding something lower. If you don't need Hyper threading you can disable that and it should allow you to lower the voltage some more.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Personally I used fixed voltage instead of offset. I like to have a stable solid voltage vs one that changes too much on load and idle, not too concerned about power use. I'll probably fiddle more with getting good idle voltage when i have a chance, I was in a rush since i just got my build recently. When i used offset i got uncommon voltages, but at 4.4-4.6 you should be able to use a +0.10 or +0.15 offset. test under load and check voltage though, for me it was really unpredictable unless i had LLC off.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

It should be, when i was tweaking with offset i'd get voltage higher than 1.35 under load regardless of my LLC or PL over volt settings. I need to play more with it before i see whats going on. for now i'm stable 24/7 with prime with a fixed voltage under 1.35 so i'm fine with that until this weekend when i have more free time to play :)

MaxY1234

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Ok I just disabled PLL overvolt and enabled LLC. My LLC only has 3 options: auto, enabled, disabled. I thought the point of getting an i7 is to have that feature of hyper threading? Sorry I'm still a novice at CPUs and overclocking. Thanks for the help so far guys. Oh yea my offset is at + 0.085 right now if that information is relevant.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

keep it enabled and try a lower offset. find the lowest stable offset below 1.35v underload. I was just suggesting disabling HT to test :) It's easier sometimes to find stable settings with it off, then once you have those stable settings you should be able to do a tweak or two to get it stable with it enabled.

You may be at work also mad, but i'm stuck on a crappy dell optiplex 740 haha

MaxY1234

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Ok so far I've disabled PPL overvolt, enabled LLC, disabled hyperthreading, and did an offset of - 0.015 and when I run stress test I get vcore 1.35v underload :D. Does that offset look about right? Is every cpu's auto voltage different? And based on that, we offset it either + or - to the vcore that we want underload? Btw, thanks omega and mad for helping me!

MaxY1234

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Also would you guys recommend I leave hyperthreading on or off? I mainly use the computer for gaming and occasionally programming. Also, do I test if my CPU is stable using OCCT, IntelBurnTest, or Prime95? and for how long? thanks again guys!

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Hyperthreading has very little use and hurts fps in some games, I saw you mentioned the C1 state, that should be disabled. sorry i tend to forget that and assume everyone knows to turn that off.