Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to determine if my HDD has died?

Last response: in Storage
August 31, 2011 5:27:44 PM

Hello,
I just built a new system two days ago using a Vertex 3 SSD as my C: drive with Windows 7 installed on it and a Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB as my storage drive. Everything was great for 2 days: windows 7 started flawlessly, I installed MS office and other programs on the D: drive. The only thing I noticed was that there was an occassional click from the HDD. This morning I updated the driver for the JMB controller but then Windows hung when I reboot the system at the start up screen. I was able to restore Windows to a previous restore point but now I can't access my D: drive and chkdsk doesn't reveal any problems saying the there is no problem with the file system of D:. I can see the disk icon and label but there isn't the bar displaying the disk volume. Also none of the shortcuts to programs on the D: drive are present on my desktop. Is it possible for a HDD to die after two days of operation? And, were those occassional clicks "click(s) of death"?

More about : determine hdd died

Best solution

August 31, 2011 7:00:07 PM

Clicking sound from HDD, it mean the drive is going to die. Backup your data if still possible to get access of your hdd.
Related resources
September 7, 2011 1:16:52 PM

Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately, it died and I couldn't backup my data. I did download the hitachi fitness test but I didn't run it. I was able to RMA the drive and its replacement has been silently running for the past week. I was foolishly thinking that these larger drives made the same amount of noise as the older IDE drives from the earlier 90s, but the replacement drive is very quiet.
m
l
September 14, 2011 3:17:20 PM

Best answer selected by cnolte.
m
l
!