Ocz vs mushkin

CrashDuck

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hello, noob here. just want to know which ram would be better. i have OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Vista Performance Gold 4GB Dual Channel and Mushkin 996557 - 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400 5-5-5-18 Silverline. I am using this in an Asus P5QL pro with Q8300 running at stock (for now)and a AVC Black Samurai cpu cooler, and bfg 9800 gt oc @512mb, just looking to see which would be best ram to use overall...TY CrashDuck

Since they have the same specs, you can't expect a measurable difference between those kits. If you have the choice, you could go for the Muskin, but you can't go wrong either way. They're not the best, but they certainly are quite good.

CrashDuck

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
ty Ghislain, i do have the choice, bought the ocz for my dads rig, ive been using the Mushkin for a year now...works great! the reason i asked is that due to recent upgrades PSU is about 100 watts to low according to the recommendation so i cant oc any of it at the moment, and i might only have both sets of ram for a couple weeks, so i guess i will stick to the mushkin, unless u or anyone else knows if one is better at ocing or not! ty again, CrashDuck...BTW how do u get your system specs under your name? anyone

CrashDuck

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
ty again Ghislain, ok so overclocking ram is not necessary, but I want to squeeze more performance out of this rig in the future(still need PSU) and i assumed some memory would be better than others even though they are rated the same, i am still researching timings and voltages and ratios, all things i know very little about. so are u saying that i should just leave the ram alone then and only oc CPU? i appreciate your input immensely! ty again CD

Overclocking the RAM will provide little performance gains, if any. Don't presume that your RAM can't be overclocked, but you'll have to increase the voltage (like all DDR2 1066 MHz RAM that really is 800 MHz RAM overclocked to 1066 MHz).

If you increase the system clock from 333 MHz to 400 MHz, you can set the FSB:DRAM ratio to 1:1 and your RAM will run at it's rated speed of 800 MHz.